Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day #208 - Snow Pack

I remember the latest snow fall last year in Summit Park was May 25th...I took a picture. It snowed last night (May 28th). This winter has been incredible - I lost a few trees this year, several branches, the deck railing is broken, the paint I slapped on last fall is basically pulverized and I thought I had lost the 10 perennials I planted last summer. I have posted too many snow photos already so decided not to post the one I took last night; instead I thought I would post a poem that I received in the mail this week:

April Showers

When April skies begin to frown,
And the cold rain comes pelting down,
We must not grumble nor complain,
Nor idly say, we hate the rain.

God sends the rain; the dust-y ground
It softens in the fields around;
The moisture every plant receives,
And springs afresh in flowers and leaves.

Should God forbid the showers to fall,
Nor send us any rain at all,
The ground would all grow hard and dry,
And every living plant would die.

All things would starve and perish then --
No food for birds, nor beasts, nor men;
Then do not murmur, nor complain;
God, in His goodness, sends the rain.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

I received this poem at just the right time...I have been complaining because of the rain/snow that never seems to end. Everyone seems to be worried about the snow pack and the risk of flooding. It is ironic that we are normally saying how we don't have enough snow pack at the end of the season. It never seems to be 'just right'. The good news is there are little greens poking out of the ground where my perennials are planted. I am hopeful that most of them did survive after all.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Earth laughs in flowers."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. Great poem. Yes, it is rare that we ever see things as "just right", bet that gets old. I will say you have got to be tough to live where you do. You gotta really want it. It is a long winter no doubt. Sounds like you are just about rounding the bend now. We are gonna be lucky to see it at its prettiest I bet. REally every season is probably just as beautiful as the next, fall, spring, winter, summer.....it is a bit of a sacrifice for that delightful variety. Sometimes I wish we could be paying it also!

    ReplyDelete