Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day #192 - Which Loved Best?

Since it is Mother's Day and I went to see both my own Mother and my Mother-in-law to honor them on their special day I thought I would share a poem that came to mind tonight. My Mom used to recite this poem to us when we complained too hard about our chores...

Which Loved Best?
by Joy Allison

"I love you, Mother," said little John.
Then forgetting his work, his cap went on.
And he was off to the garden swing,
Leaving his Mother the wood to bring.

"I love you, Mother," said little Nell.
"I love you more than tongue can tell."
"Then she teased and pouted half the day,
Till Mother rejoiced when she went to play.

"I love you, Mother," said little Fan.
"Today I’ll help you all I can."
To the cradle then she did softly creep,
And rocked the baby till it fell asleep.

Then stepping softly, she took the broom,
And swept the floor, and dusted the room.
Busy and happy all day was she,
Helpful and cheerful as child could be.

"I love you, Mother," again they said.
Three little children, going to bed.
How do you think that Mother guessed
Which of them really loved her best?

I suspect my Mom's favorite part was Nell's since that was the one I remembered most and how I located the poem.

I was reading my sister's Mother's Day post and she mentioned how, when her husband asked what she wanted for her special day, she rubbed her hands together mentally and said "service"...Such a powerful gift. I haven't figured out a service to give my Mother...she makes it way too easy for us to give her a bucket of flowers and call it good...I will need to think on that...any ideas?

I love my Mother's - I am lucky and blessed beyond belief to have them in my life.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.  ~Tenneva Jordan

1 comment:

  1. Um....I never did adopt that giving mentality, at least not for desert....I will bargain, barter, and bribe to get my piece of the pie. I always liked that poem. It is a good one to lay on the guilt if needs be for my own kids.....hehe.

    ReplyDelete