Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day #191 - Robin Head

Travis called me at work yesterday and told me there was a Robin outside our family room window who kept jumping up and hitting it over and over. Sometimes it hits the window with its feet, sometimes it's beak, sometimes it's body and sometimes it sits on the ledge and taps the window with it's beak. Travis called me again 6 hours later and told me it was STILL doing it. I told him I knew he was kidding me. When I got home, sure enough there is this Robin outside who keeps banging into the window.

After dinner we sat down to watch a show we had recorded and I could not stop thinking about what is wrong with that bird. Is it crazy? Does it want to come inside? Was it playing with the cat? OH, I KNOW...it is nesting and needs a spot to lay it's eggs. So I decided to build one for them. It is pretty lousy, but I thought it might be better then nothing if they are in a pinch. I even sprinkled the area with sunflower seeds.

Again today, ALL DAY LONG, jump up, hit the window, jump up, hit the window. Talk about banging your head against the wall. Even the cat lost interest. I finally grew a brain and looked the problem up online...turns out it is a territory thing. The silly bird is seeing his own reflection in the mirror and is protecting his lady bird and his territory. There were ideas online to hang a cardboard owl on the outside of the window to keep him away.

I took some video with my phone, but it is not very good and I can't get it off my "new" phone. If I can get a photo tomorrow with my camera, I will. I do love birds and will be happy if they can settle down a bit and make a safe home for their babies. Thanks Robin for keeping things interesting...
I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "You're only given a little spark of madness.  You mustn't lose it."  ~Robin Williams

3 comments:

  1. Wow. That is crazy and sad. What a headache that little guy must have. What persistence. What a fighter! Cool that you looked it up online....you smart girl.
    New phone frustrations.......Grrrrrrrrr......aaaaaaaaaaaaa......come on, follow the birds example, stick with it, work through it, don't give up, take a deep breath, open the owners manual, take one baby step at a time. Now Get the dang pictures off it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that I don't know how...I am using Chuck's old phone and don't have the right connection to hook it up to the computer and the camera card is not recognizing the photos I am taking...still...GRRRRRR...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tory went to grill hamburgers about a week ago and low and behold there was a HUGE nest with 6 little blue eggs in it ! It was crazy! I guess we won't be grilling for awhile! :)I will e-mail you a photo.

    ReplyDelete