Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day #200 - Bro Down

Today is my big brother's Birthday...My parents were good enough to put a boy exclamation point on the front and the back of their 4 girls...So I am lucky enough to have experienced a big brother and a baby brother - here are 10 things I love about my Big Brother Jason:

1 - Sense of Humor - I think my favorite thing about Jason is his "no duh dummy" sense of humor. He doesn't really hold back, which can be tricky at times for him because it creates opportunities for regret, but he is pretty darn funny. He is pretty gentle with me, so it is easy for me to yuck it up when I am around him.

2 - Faces...I think there was a whole years worth of photos that we were working through to complete the family Calendar and we found maybe one photo that didn’t have flared nostrils and all teeth grin he does for most photos. We tried to take a group photo with everyone making a face and we all looked pretty lame compared to his practiced grimace.

3 - Handyman - Jason is super handy in many ways. I've seen him put up sheetrock, paint, install shelves/cabinets, he does most of his own bike maintenance, he builds houses and cages for their pets, they poured their own patio...the list goes on. I admire this quality in him very much.

4 - He loves his wife - Sure he can be difficult and give Mel a hard time. I know they are not perfect, just like the rest of us, but I have never doubted Jason's love for Mel. How do I know this? I guess it is mostly because he might give her a hard time about not being as tough as she thinks she is, but at the same time he comes off proud of her. Or maybe because he doesn't talk negatively about her to others - at least he never has to me.

5 - Backward Spoon Grip...I don't even know how to describe this, but he holds his spoon gripped in his fist and shovels the food in when he eats - the motion is with elbow out lifting up by the shoulder. Does he do this with his fork also? I mostly notice it when he is eating cereal out of a mixing bowl or his cake drenched in milk - I don't know that I have ever studied the dinner plate to mouth, fork action - I'll have to check it out.

6 - Tough Love Dad - Jason has 3 kids (2 girls and a boy). Josie was our first niece. I remember how excited we all were to have her in our family. I don't think I noticed much how Jason was with her, but I love how their youngest, Abbie, likes to shadow Jason now. I think he really digs that she likes to hang out with him. Maybe through experience with his older two he knows it won't last forever. I hope his kids know how much he loves them.

7 - Small Brother Torture - Jason loves giving Chuck a hard time and I love watching it. What sibling doesn't enjoy a little torturing of the baby of the family? He always makes the funniest come backs on Chuck's face book posts and I love to see those two crack pots go back and forth with each other.

8 - Reading material - Jason has actually surprised me a few times with his pick of reading material. He comes off as such a funny guy that it is hard to remember he is super smart. He doesn't go out of his way to prove it, but he really is sort of brainy. My Dad had us pick books to read from his library so we can educate ourselves on the state of the nation, etc. Jason had already read most of them...the best part is my Dad has this interesting way of writing notes in the margins of his books - I picked a book that both Jason and my Dad had read and Jason added his own notes to the margins. Their political views don't quite match up, so I thought it would be an interesting read and a better insight into both my Dad and my brother.

9 - Not afraid of I love you - Jason sometimes comes off as a hard a**, but he is really just a softy. From a little sister perspective it feels pretty special when that brother who - used to have hair like Andre Agassi, beat you around in the battle hall, made fun of everything you did, drew amazing pictures of zombies, screamed at you for stretching the sleeves of his shirts out just because you barrowed them one time to wrap around your waist, listened to Metallica and Van Halen tape decks real loud on his waterbed - tells you he loves you and gives you a hug...how can it not feel special.

BUT MOST OF ALL...

10 - I love that Jason reminds me of all the good parts of my Dad. I think it drives a kid crazy to be told they remind them of one of their parents. I have learned it can be the highest compliment anyone can pay to a kid. I often see my Dad in Jason. I feel proud of him, I love how he takes care of his family, I love how hard he works, how talented he is and how he cares about relevant politics. I have said this before, but I am so grateful my parents live near my brother - I am so relieved to feel my parents have him nearby to take care of them or help them if necessary and I KNOW Jason will do just that because he is that kind of guy, that kind of brother and that kind of son.

Here are some older photos (I am not on my home computer so I don't have my most recent photos with me): Jason on his motorcycle and Jason, with his son Seth and my baby bro Chuck




HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON - I LOVE YOU!!

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you." Mary Tyler Moore

1 comment: