Monday, May 2, 2011

Day #187 - What would you do?

I'm on the last CD of a Book on CD that I have been listening to in my car. This book has been driving me CRAZY!!! It is about a kid who gets tried as an adult at age 15 for brutally murdering a girl in his class and then goes to jail for 20 years to life. In a round about way you find out he is actually innocent and he got set up for the crime by his no good cousin. It is pretty graphic in its description of abuse and murder, so I won't recommend it, but I just cannot wrap my head around going to jail for 20 YEARS for a murder you didn't commit.

I have actually spent more time on this thought then I probably needed to, but I keep wondering "what would I do if I was in jail for years and years?" - I have convinced myself I would still be a productive human being...I decided I would have strong arms from doing push-ups all day, washboard abs and calves of steel. I would read (of course) and I would write. I decided I would get a degree in...maybe multiple things, like Psychology, Writing/English, Editing (is there such a degree?), etc. I think I would want to be a pen pal as well - not to kids...yuck/creepy...but to Oprah & Ellen - I would just write letters to the shows everyday for fun.

I wonder what my family would think? Would they come to visit me even if they believed I was guilty? I like to think they would. One thing that book pointed out to me yet again is how many unfortunate children there are in this world. It is maddening, really, to think about. It just doesn't seem possible that so many kids can end up with such bad luck when I had it so good.

I am not quite certain what the purpose of this post is...just something I have been thinking about and knowing I am so GLAD I am not in that situation and also wondering why I don't go ahead and do some of those things I think about doing in prison...? Sort of ironic to contemplate living out some of my desires when I no longer had the freedom to REALLY live them...Probably ought to re-think that.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions." Steven R. Covey

1 comment:

  1. Man, I really hate hearing stuff like that. What a shame. That is depressing. Yikes....so did you finish the cd? Were you glad you listened to it? Sometimes there are redeeming qualities in books like that, and you come away with something you can keep because of it. Kind of like " A Thousand Splendid Suns", and "Kite Runner"....in the end I took away a lot and was glad I forged ahead and made my way to the endings. There is some sad stuff out there. Really makes you appreciate the blessed lives we lead.

    ReplyDelete