Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day #156 - Embarrassing Moments

I just read on facebook that my brother Chuck took a spill running up his stairs to his apartment and conked his head...OUCH!! I am waiting to find out if anyone saw him.

Just the other day I was walking back from my car at my Parent's new house and stepped on my jeans then twisted my foot in my recovery attempt and down I went - knee to belly. I seem to have a bad habit of falling at unfortunate moments and always in the way of a Belly Flop.

It is kind of like my crying - wicked ungraceful and ugly. Why can't I be one of those gentle criers with big silent tears rolling down my cheeks instead of the red eyed mouth twisting benders I seem bring on? NO, I didn't cry when I fell on Saturday, but I WANTED TO. I wanted to just lay there and whimper for a minute, but jumped right up to hobble into the garage before anyone noticed me...ESPECIALLY TRAVIS. I would never have heard the end of it if he had witnessed the adventure. Now, at least I can laugh at myself in the retelling of the story.

When Travis and I were first dating he took me in his new car to visit his brother and sister-in-law. They went to take a drive in the gently used Acura Integra and I decided it would be a good idea to wander about their house - just curious. I opened one of the doors and stepped in to turn on the light and...there was NO FLOOR. Down the stairs I went - thank goodness for that pile of dirty laundry at the bottom or I would have cracked my head for sure. Next thing I know my date was looking down at me doing that head shaking thing that I have come to love after 16 years of marriage (he made sure I was ok first, of course).

Then there was the time the crawl space sprung a leak in our old house. To get to the space one has to open a hole in the floor and use a ladder to climb down. It was about 6' deep. I forgot the lid was off and rushed in to grab something from the bathroom...AGAIN - NO FLOOR. I bonked my head pretty good that time, but the best part of the story is I did it AGAIN a few days later after the plumber left from fixing the water line. After that we put the lid just outside the bathroom door so I wouldn't forget it was off.

Then there was that time at Subway - Debi and I were leaving, just chatting happily when the curb gave way to NOTHING - Que ankle twist, chucking of the "to go" cup of Diet Coke in an effort to free my hand for the (you guessed it) immanent belly flop and the most embarrassing roll down the parking lot. Not quite my best moment. Debi seems to think it was pretty good though. I made her pay by sending her back inside for a pity refill on my drink AND to beg a new cup since the bottom of mine blew out on impact.

I can go on and on, but just writing this post and re-living those moments made me laugh. It is one of my favorite things to do with siblings and friends to sit around and "remember when". Sometimes those embarrassing moments can create even better memories later on - Heaven knows we all have them!!

Hope Chuck is OK!!

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" Oscar Wilde

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! You have had some dooosies! They all sound very painful...forget the embarrassment, you are lucky to have survived a few of those "embarrassing" moments girl. Yes, the remembering of them are almost worth the cost of living through them the first time. You have a life time of reliving the story and fascinating your audience again and again. My kids love the time I fainted when a horse stepped on my foot, and I bounced off a barbwire fence into a face plant in the dirt. Then there was the time I dropped jello in grade school and hit my knee trying to pick it up. Again fainting from the pain, woke up on my back w/ my legs still over the bench looking up into all kinds of curious and scared faces. The worst part was the cool table was all turned around looking at me also. Sooo horrifying!

    Good times I tell ya. I hope to never fall down into a 6 foot pit twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...That sounds awful about the horse. It sounds like you faint from pain. I usually faint in anticipation of pain - at least I used to. I am a total whimp.

    I might have mis-wrote the whole crawl space incident(s). I didn't actually fall DOWN the hole - The first time I was walking quickly and my leg dropped down while my body propelled forward so i hit the edge of the sink with my head and my shin got banged up by the edge of the hole. The 2nd time I was just walking and one leg went down and the other stayed out while I clung to the edge of the hole by my elbows. I sat there whimpering until I realized I wasn't hurt after all...but still, a bit humiliating.

    At least that time at lunch you were noticed by EVERYONE...SWEET. :) HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok.....the half in half our descriptions sound even worse then falling straight in. Geeeez.

    ReplyDelete