Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day #143 - Experience

Why is it that after 15 years in the Real Estate Industry I still have to be learning things...Why can't I know it all by now? Just when you think ya got it ALL figured out ya miss that knuckle ball and it hits you RIGHT in the chin. I actually had a Broker write me an email today that said "I am legally offended"...HO...Great. I almost wrote back "I am personally offended" but decided against it. I didn't do anything wrong, but it would be nice if I could have caught the issue before it became one for everyone's sake.

I remember the first actual buyer I took out to look at homes when I was a Real Estate Assistant. I knew which house she should make an offer on, but I couldn't figure out how to close the deal or how to get past her objections. I didn't have the confidence to move her forward in a decisive way. I ended up losing the deal, she lost the house and bought a for sale by owner down the street several months later. I like to think that now, 13 years and hundreds of deals later, it would be a different story. Who's to say? Maybe I still stink at closing even though I know how to negotiate a contract.

Maybe EXPERIENCE itself is overrated. I have been passed over for jobs because I "lack" the right experience, but how do you gain experience unless you are given opportunities to grow? Sometimes I guess the actual "experience" is the loss of it or never having a chance. Sometimes the experience is simply the opportunity to try and sometimes to sharpen the saw...I guess, whatever way it shakes out, more experience is always better than less...

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "There is something about having less of something - less energy, less time, less whatever - that creates a poignant shift in our sense of its value." Maryanne Williamson

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I wonder: Do you get the quote first and right around that? or do you think of what you want to write about and then find a quote that correlates? just wondrin. "I am legally offended" boy...nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes something I read inspires me to write, but mostly it is the other way around. I happen to be reading a book by Maryanne Williamson and have been underlying passages that I like. I also have a book of quotes that I have read through and daily quotes by Larry Winget...lately I have also been looking up some new quotes online if there is a subject I wrote about...I like it when the quotes are relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have emailed him back and said, "I am annoyed that you are offended!"

    You know I'm joking! :]

    Yeah, it is frustrating when places (jobs) require experience, yet you can't get any without being given an opportunity. Erm... you said it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete