Monday, March 7, 2011

Day #145 - Musicology

Saturday night my sister Keri came up with her husband so Golden could work on our computer. They spent the night and most of Sunday with us. We lazed around all day and hung out with their baby, made enchiladas and watched a movie while Golden transferred hundreds of songs onto our computer. Lots of it is stuff we already have, lots of it is stuff we may never listen to and another chunk is stuff we never thought of listening to before and will probably become new favorites.

What I thought about yesterday and today is how amazing music is. Strangely, one of the best acceptance speeches I remember hearing was by Quentin Tarantino - I think it was for best song in a movie and I can't even remember which award ceremony it was, but he talked about how when he was 15 years old he would lay on his bed with headphones on and play out movie scenes to the music he was listening to. It was music that taught him about making movies.

Music has so much power to evoke strong emotions - joy, sorrow, fear, humor...Music also brings memories with it. Today I was talking to Carrie at work and she told me how she sings a "Good Morning" song to her kids each day. She told me her Dad used to sing it to wake them up and they hated it, but when they heard him singing down the hall toward the bathroom, they would jump out of bed because they had learned a cold cup of water would be coming their way next. Now she is creating memories with her own kids. I was telling Carrie that my Mom used to sing "Good Morning Merry Sunshine" to us a lot. I don't remember hating it, but I definitely remember hearing it quite a bit. 

The other thing I miss is my Ipod - it died and I haven't been able to replace it yet. I had a small mix of music that I would take to the Gym with me. It is so much easier to work hard when there is a motivating beat in my head. I used to listen to books on CD at the gym, but I have realized music is so much more motivating and I am looking forward to creating some new work out mixes when I eventually get my new Ipod.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all, together we stand, divided we fall." - Pink Floyd

2 comments:

  1. Musicology....did you get that from Princes cd? I agree w/ you about music...I love it to. Tonight for RS it was in fact a music appreciation class. We learned how to lead, and so forth. Not the most out of this world night of all nights, but I definitely had a fun time with the ladies, and learned a thing or two. Get your new ipod already lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I stole "Musicology" from Prince.

    ReplyDelete