Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day #151 - Whatchya' Readin'?

One of my favorite things to do is notice someone reading a book in public and sneak a peak to see what it is. Tonight Trav and I went to dinner at Cafe Rio (mmmm salad that can't be good for you) and just on the way out I spotted a lone diner with a book.

It was a middle aged gentleman with thinning Donald Trump type hair eating a salad while reading. He was in the direct path to the door and I slowed down to check it out. The book was paperback, but bigger than a novel size paperback. The book was of average thickness and he was about 1/2 way through it; I always think that means it must be at least a mostly good read. I neared and was walking by doing my best vision out the side of my face without turning my head impression and stopped near the garbage can to turn back just as he set the book face side down....SNAP!! I'll never know what Donald was reading...BUMMER! I thought about it ALL the way home.

I think the next time I notice I will be more diligent and then share what I find out. I actually can't stand it when someone asks what I'm reading and usually just say "It is called 'mind your own business Mr. Nosy McPhee'". No, I don't care THAT much, but I like to look at someone and then look at the book and convince myself that I now have a small insight into that person. This is probably the reason I don't read much in public - HA!!

Maybe next time I will actually "bother" the person trying to enjoy their book. Maybe they are just reading as a pretext to why they might have made the choice to eat alone and might appreciate the company OR maybe it is truly one of those books they can't put down and read at every spare moment. In this case I would really like the name of the book.

Anyway, I am on the prowl for more public reading. ...watch out for a follow-up post.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The renaissance of appreciation begins when what is taken for granted is no longer granted." Reader's Digest - Quotable Quotes

2 comments:

  1. I am reading, "Stand For Something", by President Hinkley, you know I just finished a slew of entertainment books, thought I should rein it in and try and build my spiritual side this go round. It is a wonderful book, but I tell you, it is not the same as dying to find out what your favorite character will do next.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right? I started reading that book a while back and only got part way through it - I do that a lot. I think it is because I like to have 3 or 4 books going at once so I can pick and choose what to read based on my mood.

    ReplyDelete