Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day #146 - Moving the Rents

For those of you who are only as hip as your hair style - "RENTS" is youngster speak for "PARENTS". I am also un-hip, but have Keri and Chuck around to keep me as cool as I can be considering my advancement towards middle age.

Today I took off work to help the Rents move from American Fork (AF) to Fruit Heights. This move occurred for one basic reason - Mom and Dad wanted to live closer to the bulk of their kids and grand kids. They actually moved to Utah County originally to be close to their aging parents. During the almost 20 years they lived in AF their parents passed away and now their priorities have turned a corner.

This move reminds me once again of the circle of life - everything moves so rhythmically in patterns. I felt a great sense of relief moving the Rents so close to my older brother Jason who will be there to help them as they get older. If they have a problem, Jason is 5 minutes away instead of an hour. Amy and Keri can take their kids over to visit via a 10 minute drive and I am sure they will visit often. We teased our niece Josie that she can live in the basement when she gets kicked out in a year or so (she is just turning 16 this year) and told Seth he can start mowing their lawn in the Summer - I don't think he was too keen on the idea.  I know the grand kids will appreciate being close to Grandma and Grandpa - When they are older, I feel they will be grateful for the opportunity to spend time with them.

When we left the old house I tried to feel nostalgic about it. Mom and I had stayed behind to finish the cleaning and as we stood there taking a final look around I asked her if she was sad to be leaving it behind. She shook her head and said, "it is just a house". I suppose it is up to all of us to make our houses into homes and I am confident that is what will happen again for the Rents.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built with love and dreams."

1 comment:

  1. Geeze, I feel nostalgic reading your post. I wish we could have helped with the move, and been able to take a little ownership of it as well. It is going to be so strange coming home to visit to a new foreign place. It will be like coming home from a mission and your room has been made into the sewing nook....you don't have your place any more.
    What will I really miss about the old house.....? I guess nothing really....it is the people like you said that make it home. Maybe as I am getting older I am just noticing the huge significance of these major life changes. Wow...how fun for everybody being up there together. I'm so jelled.

    ReplyDelete