Monday, November 29, 2010

Day #77 - Glass Slipper

I already wrote a letter to my sister Melissa with just about the same information in it as this post, but since I just finished decorating for the Christmas Holiday I thought this was a good time to remember my Grandma Sybil Dana - My Dad's Mom.

Grandma had the most beautiful, feminine things. Lot's of nic nacs, doilies, dolls, fringed lamps, flowers on everything and pink, pink EVERYWHERE. She did have a flair for decorating in the Victorian Doll House style and everything was always clean and beautiful. At Christmas she always had a bunch of angels out and the most gorgeous tree with some fun and delicate ornaments and TONS of WHITE lights.

I remember the trees changed a bit over the years. They used to be flocked trees with pink and silver trim covering almost every available inch and then one year the tree was green with pink and silver trim, then it turned green with gold highlights, but there was ALWAYS pink...and long strings of pearls wrapping the tree.

After Grandma Sybil passed away they had a luncheon in her memory and decorated all the tables with her treasures. I wrote to my sister that I was itching to pocket a few of them and we were told at the end of lunch to pick one of the shoe ornaments that Grandma used to hang on her Christmas trees to take home with us. I picked one for me and my sisters Keri and Melissa, since they were not in town at the time. I wish now that I had taken pictures of all the shoes so I could post them, but here is mine.


I liked this photo because it is sort of GLOWY and other worldly - sort of like Grandma always seemed to me...always in her special universe. She was a very unique individual and I couldn't be more different then she was, but I love her and missed seeing her at Thanksgiving this year...So, even though my tree is red & gold w/colored lights, I promise to take good care of this glass slipper and think of Grandma Sybil each year as I place it there.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "When the student is ready, the teacher appears" sixth chakra adage...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that is a great picture. Perfect description of grandma, you nailed it. She lived in quite the wonderland....it was indeed beautiful. M has our slipper displayed in her room....I forgot it was an ornament. I am excited to post my "glowy" pictures as well. Hopefully tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete