Monday, November 15, 2010

Day #65 - Snuggle In

Blankets...Tonight I got home and could not get warm. I think it was because I took a shower and did not dry my hair. When I came back down to sit with Travis I noticed he was using my current favorite blanket..."Hey!"...I quickly realized I should pick my battles and selected a different blanket to use. Bart decided to occupy my seat while I walked to the blanket basket and once we got adjusted the kitty made her way to serve as my lap blanket on the blanket like she does every night. All four of us were snug as a bug in a blanket...very cozy.

I got to thinking about the blankets that are often strewn around the family room and realized almost all of them have a story and a memory behind them. Here are a few of mine:

Here is my Blanket Basket...Yes, I know the Blankets should be
IN the Basket...but they are so much easier to get at like this...:)


This is a gift I gave to Travis years ago...He still uses it a lot.


My Friend Matt that moved to Boston gave Travis a shirt
and me this Blanket to Remember them by.


This blanket is very special - Grandma Barker made this for me after I married Travis. I often went to visit her, she was one of my favorite people, and told her how much I admired her crochet work. She made me this beautiful blanket. I have often thought I should save it, preserve it, but she meant for me to use it, so I do.


I made sure to remind Grandma Barker how much I loved the blanket she made me and how often I used it. I also told her Travis constantly tried to steal it from me and use it himself. She liked this story, which was totally true. As Grandma got older her fingers went crooked and she had a hard time using her hands. When Travis opened this Afghan one year for Christmas I almost started crying. The blanket is as crooked as her hands were toward the end of her life and this was her last Afghan...We are so blessed it came to us. Grandma Barker was just over 4' tall and had the heart of a giant - she passed away at 103 years old.


The Snuggy...Do you know how many people I had to ask for this thing? I dropped hints like mad at Travis (could he have missed them?), I bluntly asked for it from my Mom (blatantly ignored), and finally mentioned it to my Mother-in-law Joleen who came through with flying colors...FINALLY!! It reminded me of "The Christmas Story" I finally got what I most wanted from the most unlikely source. I know, I know, I could have bought it for myself...but what is the fun in that?


Aw...Sweet...What else can I say, even the dog likes a good snuggle in the blankets.


There are other blankets and other stories, but I think I made my point. Even blankets contain warm memories worth thinking about now and then.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee." Marian Wright Edelman

Gift #21 - I am sorry to say I did not consciously create an opportunity to give today. Looking back I can count something as my gift, but I do not think that falls within the spirit of the Giving Challenge and I have fudged on that before. I think I will feel better if I start over tomorrow...If at first you don't succeed...

3 comments:

  1. I think your post was a gift, it had some nice memories in it. The picture I want to see is the four of you all huddled up on the couch together. All piled up w/ your colorful afghans, blankies and snuggly. I am guessing when you gave the hints that everybody thought the other person was going to get you the snugglie (what an easy gift...I would have snatched that one right up) ...I guess you are just lucky you didn't get THREE!! Can't believe Grama Barker was 103!! amazing. It is wonderful you got to have such a special relationship with her. Good that you took the time to foster it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one!! I must admit I ended up staring at my blankets and thinking of all our memories... Thanx!! (I finally left a comment for you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carrie!!! Thanks for the comment - you know I love them. HB

    You too M, of course!!

    ReplyDelete