Friday, November 5, 2010

Day #56 - Hit the Road Zack...

Today my nephew (Trav's side) moved out of our basement studio apartment. I am grateful that he is taking on his own place and will have a more personal outlook and experience a chance for complete accountability.

This guy is GREAT - I love him. He is nice, funny, sweet and fun to be around. One night in winter he snow plowed my drive way after a 3.5 ft. snow fall when Trav was laid up after shoulder surgery. I was so grateful to him for that. I hadn't even really used the snow blower yet and was pretty intimidated. It was such a relief to have him there to help me and I didn't even ask.

He has been working in a kitchen while he has lived here and one night he and his roommate made us a great dinner - pork chops stuffed with cheese and all kinds of goodness, served with honey glazed asparagus. VERY GOOD and pretty impressive. Whenever we would have him over for dinner he would call it "family dinner" and for some reason that always made me feel all warm and happy.

There have been some challenges having him here and it was disturbing to worry about someone like I would my own kid; wanting to treat/react to a situation the RIGHT way and not knowing what that way was. Trying to give him his space as a renter while at the same time offering a plethora of unsolicited advice. Sometimes I would get so frustrated I would just throw my hands up and say "whatever" like a teenager. I solute you parents out there - I can see it is a tough gig.

All-in-all, I am grateful for the experience to have gotten to know my nephew better. I'm sure we will have many more family dinners in the future. So - here's to moving on to bigger and better things!!

Best Wishes Zack!!

I Am Grateful,
HB
Not the greatest picture, but what a nice guy, right?


Diva Quote: "It is never too late to become what you might have been." George Eliot

Gift #12 - I had planned to get a card and write an encouraging message to one of my transferee's who had a rough day today. I have been having 2nd thoughts...what if she finds it patronizing or embarrassing? I truly want to be supportive and friendly. I had just now decided I would write a thank you note to the RS President instead - it is easy and she would appreciate a thank you for the treats she dropped by on Halloween, but as I type this, I have decided to do both. This is about instinct and stepping left - right? I hope (really pray) Karen receives my note in the spirit it is intended; that she will find comfort knowing someone was thinking about her.

2 comments:

  1. Are you just going to let your apartment remain empty now? or will you try and rent it out asap? Those letters really are a gift. Those ladies will really appreciate you taking the time to do that. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet RS president. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New renter just moved in today. Seems like a nice young man...I hope.

    ReplyDelete