Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day #73 - Snow Day

I am often amazed when I call companies back East to place a referral and they have bolted early due to ice and snow. I almost don't remember having a snow day. When I was young I remember HOPING for a snow day and very rarely getting one. I may remember leaving work early sometimes to avoid driving in direct commuter traffic during a snow storm, but very rarely an actual snow day.

Our office officially closed at 3:00 p.m. today in anticipation of a heavy blizzard commute. I thought it was so responsible and caring of management to pretty much insist on it. I left at 1:00 to get home well before I had to worry about driving up Parley's Canyon. Being stranded on an off ramp last fall due to a fatal accident on the way home was one too many times for me.

The accident was caused by a FedEx truck losing its breaks, careening down the mountain and crossing over to oncoming traffic crashing into and killing one person. I waited there, with hundreds of others not knowing why the freeway was closed, waiting for the road to open back up. The Eastbound Canyon was closed for several hours.

The only good part of that experience was when I hopped out of my car to see if I could figure out what was happening and there was a car full of young women and leaders who had been on their way to a retreat. They had 2 cars full of food - tacos and deserts. They started inviting people to join them for dinner. I admit I did eat a taco and thought about how this experience would turn into an interesting memory for those young girls...anticipation into tragedy into service. I finally decided to make my way down the mountain to visit my sister instead of spend hours waiting. Regardless, I did not want to risk a repeat today.

Several other businesses closed down after 1:00 this afternoon. The news made such a HUGE deal out of the blizzard conditions saying things like "total whiteout, zero visibility, life threatening conditions" that it was pretty difficult not to take it seriously.

It was interesting to be sitting in my house at 5:00 p.m. and not see any evidence of a storm other than some wind...It eventually did start up and the pictures on the news, as well as the commentary, made it seem like a good decision for all. I started to wonder if UDOT (Utah Department of Transportation), who seems to be very visible in the media right now in the good PR sense, fed the idea to the media. They were highlighted as saying less traffic has really helped their snow plows and created fewer incidents of slide offs and accidents.

I am just glad I have a job that does not flinch if I need to leave early to avoid bad weather even though I have the most awesome tires in the world...

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "To see what is right and not to do it is to lack courage or principle." Confucius


Gift: Picasa...Thanks M - now if I can just figure out how to use it...Here are a few photos in honor of snow day...



1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Snow! Whooohooo! I cannot believe we will be there in just a few short weeks. That happens here a lot as well, the weather predictions, the cancellations that follow and then a peaceful sunny sky is all that comes out. OH well.....like you said, better to be prepared than not.

    Pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete