Monday, November 22, 2010

Day #72 - Spliced

I almost took the tip of my finger off on Sunday when I was attempting to make homemade scalloped hash browns for breakfast. I bought this mandala (sp?) thing from Avon not long ago and Travis thinks it is amazing. He uses it all the time and talked me into using it on Sunday. I grumbled about how it never works right for me and he just showed me how he uses it and left me to my own devices.

Well...I was about 3 small potatoes into it and must not have been paying attention. I was just slicing along, not using the guard and...splice...now there is just this chunk of skin not quite staying put where it should on my pointing finger (isn't that the index finger?). It didn't really hurt as much as it grossed me out.

Now, I cannot type nearly as quickly as I did without the injury and it makes me realize how grateful I am for the full use of my hands. I know it is possible to get on without an index finger, but I would sure not enjoy learning how to make that happen.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference" Elie Wiesel

Gift: The weather forecast called for snow all day and night. I have been very nervous about my cars tires even though they are only just over a year old now. Every time I drive in weather I feel insecure as I feel the tires catch or slide over water. I kept thinking it had to be me and my overactive imagination. I was so nervous I asked Trav if he would drive my car during the storms and let me take the ancient all wheel drive all the time Subaru with tire tread to spare. He said "of course" and then offered to drive me to work and pick me up. I decided he didn't need to go that far.

Later in the morning he called to tell me my car didn't even make it up the small hill by our house and he had to wait until noon to try again once the sun had a chance to slush things up a bit. I have to admit I felt a bit vindicated that I was not making up some story about my tires. The gift (you can see several within this post, but this is the one I was focused on) is that Travis spent two hours today getting new tires put on my car. I would have bought the tires w/the 60K mile warranty (the cheapest ones), but he upgraded to an all weather 80K mile tire.

I could have handled this on my own, I'm a grown woman after all, but sometimes it is nice to be taken care of. I keep asking myself if Travis has been being extra thoughtful lately or if I am getting better at noticing his small and frequent acts of kindness. My message here is to pay attention to the goodness of your loved one(s)...and you will notice more and more of it.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. Trav is a good guy! I think that your focus has shifted....and maybe he knows it to. It is fun to be caught being amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete