Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day #51 - Listen Agent Pendergast...

I have a lot of things rolling around in my head this evening, some of it pretty sentimental actually, but I am going with what I believe my sister calls "playback books" (?) I call them 'books on tape' - haven't listened to a tape version for quite some time, but LOVE the CD's.

I have mentioned before that I listen to these books on the way to and from work, but I also listen at the Gym (when I make it there), while cleaning the house, working in the yard, walking the dog and tonight while painting my toe and fingernails. It gives me that great feeling of doing what I want to do, while doing what I need to at the same time.

The other thing I really like about them is there is such a huge variety at the library and they are FREE (unless you're me and you always manage to bring the books back late). I usually buy the "self help" books to listen to, but it is fun to browse at the library for things I might not normally read. Right now I am on my 3rd book about Agent Pendergast (sp?) and it is actually riveting to listen to, but I doubt I could sit down and read through it. I guess the bad part about listening to books is I don't write down the words I don't know to look up later (usually not in a place to write) and I obviously don't know how to spell that guys name since I don't read it every few pages...Ah well, there are always trade offs.

The best use for the book on tape is the long road trip. Trav and I love to bring along one or two books to listen to when we drive to Vegas or Colorado, etc. It certainly makes the time go by much more quickly. Some books have been GREAT and others LAME, but always better then fighting over what kind of music to listen to (Lady Gaga or the Doors???).

I Am Grateful,
HB

Gift #9 - I had the honor of purchasing some coats for the Coat Drive my company is sponsoring this fall. My Company is actually pretty involved in many different organizations, so we get a lot of opportunity to participate. I happened upon these very reasonably priced coats and took the opportunity to grab some up. I hate thinking about all the need out there and, once again, thinking about another persons misfortune has made me more grateful for my own life.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I will get down to my library on mon. and get a book on tape (cd) for our drive on tues. We are so lucky to live right down the street from a brand new library, Seerie and I can walk down in prob 10 min... It's also a hop, skip, and a jump from starbucks... don't mind it I do! :)

    We watched the soloist last night, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.... EVER! However, it was all about the homeless, and oh man, really sad and hard to imagine being out there let alone without any warm clothes! Bless those people who get your coats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We return books late all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helloooooo, almost Hug....they are called play-a-ways....they are a little more high tech than a book on tape. It is small, and compact, I can set it in the palm of my hand size. Thanks for the recommendation of Pendergast...I will have to get me some of that.

    I am with you guys....we love our library so much! One of the best things is that you can order what you want online, form anywhere in Brevard County, and they will deliver it to me at my library in Satellite Beach. All for free.....pretty amazing.

    Great job on the coat gifting. Got your letter....I will invite my family to join in.

    love, m

    ReplyDelete