Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day #28 - Let There Be Light...

Almost every year my parents decide they want to prepare their kids for doomsday and add something to our Armageddon kits. We have received everything from toilet paper to portable gas grills. I think it is brilliant. The last few years we have received warehouse packs of night lights (several per pack) and some sort of mag light/flashlight. I am lucky enough to have flashlights stowed all over my house thanks to those thoughtful gifts. One in my bedroom, one in the mud room, one in the garage, one in the entryway, plus night lights downstairs overnight guests have to unplug so they can sleep. I go around the morning after to restore night light order after they leave.

I am especially fond of the mag light in the entryway. Bart and I use that light every night when we take him out to go potty. I have gone out many nights without it, but I have to say it is frightening knowing there are moose walking around out there. I would hate to catch one by surprise and I would hate it even worse if I caught one of them by surprise. It is a very cautious endeavor taking Bart out at night and I am the lucky duck that gets to do it since I am the last one upstairs.

Using the flashlight gives me great comfort. The beam stretches quite far and is very bright. I check out all the dark corners and when I hear noises in the trees I can point to the noise and see if it is just the water dripping off the leaves or a raccoon getting ready to have at me (obviously my imagination is the dark center of these night walks - what can I say).

It is always interesting when the power goes out. I never realize how blessed we are to have instantaneous light until it is taken away. This can be a metaphor for many things, but for tonight I am simply grateful for the comfort that strong beam of light gives me at the easy push of a button.  

I Am Grateful,
HB

1 comment:

  1. Bingo. I especially like the ones mom and dad gave us that plug into the wall. We have two, when the power goes out they immediately turn on. It is a huge comfort like you said, not to mention helpful in getting us to the drawers to find our other lights.

    ReplyDelete