Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day #24 - Home Cookin'

There are many things I could write about today, but I keep going back to a good ol' home cooked meal. We went to Mom and Dad's house for dinner today and Mom made Chicken Divan. Usually Mom is the Sunday Turkey or Roast kind of gal, but today it was Chicken in curry sauce over noodles. It was delicious.

Travis and I eat out a lot, too much. Mainly we just get busy or I get home from work and am tired and just want something easy. There are a couple of great reasons NOT to eat out so often - it is expensive and I usually don't make great choices, so it is not healthy. There are some good reasons to eat in as well - less expensive, it is fun to try new recipes, I am in control of ingredients and can make a more conscious effort to eat healthy.

I am not a bad cook, but I am not very daring either. Frankly, I am happy to try anything and have no problem dirtying the place up and LOVE it when I don't have to clean up as well.

Travis is the one that finds new, complex recipes to try out every once in a while. He also loves spices and hot dishes. Travis is one of those cooks that can just chuck a bunch of stuff into a pot and it will come out amazing and delicious. Just the other day he cooked up a few chicken breasts w/potatoes. YUM.

I read somewhere about a woman who would dress the table up every night for dinner's - fine china, candles, flowers...the whole bit. I kind of like the idea of making every meal together seem special, but cleanup sounds hard.

This week I will do more old fashioned home cookin' and try some of the new recipes I have saved up of late.

I Am Grateful,
HB

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love moms food!!! As you saw from the load I had on my plate! She hasn't made that chicken broccoli stuff forever, and I told her to make a ton cuz I know I can eat a whole pan by myself!

    I do enjoy cooking at home as of late. I know that it helps to have a little one, it for sure limits where/when you can go out. Golden says that he enjoys when I cook however, "sometimes I would just like to eat dinner and be done. You have to make dinner a whole experience and it takes like 2 hrs at least" which is true. I love to chat, and cook, and chill out.. I also find that if we try to eat before we put seerie down around 8 it's like a nightmare. It is worth it to eat late! OH but there is one more thing, I always eat way too much food when I cook it! Is that retarded?! It's like I can't stop... Just think of moms house tonight... yes it's true, that's my usual at my house! haha



    p.s. if you just jump into cooking, you will eventually get more daring, or at least figure out more things you like.. Also there is something really rewarding about cooking a bomb-A meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm....love that chicken divan. I need to make it again. Some weeks I am lazy, some weeks I am ambitious. With couponing I always have short cut items on hand.....like easy heat and serve potatoes, frozen veggies, even tubs of barbecued meats. So we can stay in and eat and I was still completely off the hook. I do that more often than I should.

    ReplyDelete