Friday, October 29, 2010

Day #50 - Just Do It!!

We had a company pot luck this afternoon. Our poor corporate office has really shrunk right along with the economy over the last several years. We went from 50 to about 30 in 3 months and then from 30 to about 20 in the last 2 years, so whenever we have a party it feels pretty small. Today's Halloween bash was just that way and even fewer people dressed up. My lack of effort was more then most made, but there are always a few that go all out.

I was volunteered by Sheryle to be in charge of games. This was after I went on and on about the "silly" games we played at Trav's family party a while back. So I did a few "minute to win it" games. Of course there were only a handful of people that would play. Somehow I won the "cookie face" game hands down - only one other person even got the cookie from forehead to mouth and it was hilarious to watch people try. My boss was so embarrassed - it was pretty funny. At least he participated even though he felt awkward.

The thing is, how do you know (insert many 'whats' here), if you don't even try? How do you know you won't have fun? How do you know you won't win some pretty snazzy swag? How do you know you won't like that punch with those weird shrunken apple heads floating in it? How do you know you won't learn something new and interesting about that person that works 5 cubies over from you? How do you know they won't learn and like something about you?

I am pretty much a stick in the mud type individual..."no, that's ok, I'll just watch". More and more I realize the importance of contributing/participating in life going on around me. There are a lot of reasons I 'watch' rather then 'do' and I am still working on it.

Today I chose to participate...

I Am Grateful,
HB
I was a Ceiling Fan...There is a sign on my shirt and "Go" on my cheeks.
Isn't there a way to shrink these pictures a bit...Gheesh.


LOOK AT THIS GUY - 6 months old you say? This is my friend Carrie from work and her little snuggle muffin. I had to grab him and hug on him a little today...SOOOO CUTE!!


Gift #8 - I made a quick trip to the store and was on the phone with my friend in Boston. I was sitting in my car in the parking lot while we talked about his rental house and I noticed a store employee attempting to bring some carts back to the store. She had 2 big carts on a hook and line (don't know how else to describe it) in one hand and she was trying to grab a smaller cart with her other hand. The two on the line went wild and hit a car. She chased them down and lost the small cart which bounced off another car, she got the two under control and lost the little one AGAIN!! I was sort of chuckling while my friend was talking about his bad rental experience, when I realized I could probably help. I finally just told my friend "I GOTTA GO, call ya right back". I rushed to the rescue, only another lady beat me to it...I kindly informed her that this was MY GIFT and to GET OUT OF THE WAY...just kidding of course. It was nice to notice someone else in giving action. The kind lady took the small cart and I offered to drive the other two into the store...the worker seemed relieved...I hope the cars didn't damage those carts. :)  

3 comments:

  1. hahaaaaa! I get your costume!!! That's super funny hug! I think I had to see the actual product to put it together.. No doubt those games are awesome! I realize as soon as I've let go of taking myself so gosh dang serious I've been able to partake in those ever so precious moments.. You just can't ever get those kind of experiences back. Right?! It's those office parties/games that really bring everyone together, and that flows into your work place.. I miss those for sure!

    That little boy is adorable!! Good to see the other Carrie that you've been referencing as of late, Hello Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. NOW I KNOW HOW I GOT ALL THOSE DENTS AT THE MARKET!!!!!!!!!! lololol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is my problem lots of the time....I just take myself way to serious.....WHO CARES ALREADY!? I have to pry myself away from my inhibitions, careful planing, the crazy idea that you can only laugh at me if it is my idea. It is so liberating to let go and have fun, try new things, and get involved. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete