Friday, October 1, 2010

Day #22 - My Friend Neti

Since we are heading into winter, I thought to share my "stay out of sick" secret...The Neti Pot:


Why is there a Chia Pet in the picture with the Neti Pot? Because the Neti Pot looked lonely on its own. I should have tried harder to give Chia a head in the photo...

During the flu and cold season I use this thing at least a few times a week. The first time I used it was in CO with Debi...I was afraid Debi was on the verge of drowning and was employing the "trying hard NOT to laugh" strategy. Since that time I have tried to get my whole family to try it at least once. My Dad could just about get the whole thing up in there, but most of the time it turns out well enough.

If you have never used a Neti Pot the idea is to cleanse your nose of all the germs that sit in there. You simply fill the pot with warm water, plus a solution that comes with it, and alternate sticking the spout in one nostril while tipping the pot (and your head) so the water comes out the other nostril. Sure it sounds disgusting, but I kid you not, this thing works miracles. Side effects I have noted: dripping just after the procedure making multiple nose blowings a must and sometimes my ears feel like I have been swimming in a pool, but that goes away pretty quickly.

Just a few weeks ago I was complaining to my sister Melissa that I was on the verge of an ear infection. My head was stuffy and as I drove down the canyon every day my eyes felt like they were going to pop right out of my head. I tried medicine, I stayed home in bed, I drank lots of juice and water, but nothing seemed to be getting rid of the oncoming train that was an ear infection; I just knew a Dr.'s appointment was immanent.  She said, "well, have you used your Neti Pot"? DUH, that night and the 3 days following I employed the nostril cleanser and WHALA - no ear infection and no stuffy head.

I decided today to start using it again a few times a week over the next several months. I will keep you posted if I get sick...but my feeling is the only sick I will be feeling is the "sick and tired of (fill in the blank)" kind.

For this magical and sort of absurd invention...

I Am Grateful,
HB

What is your favorite "stay out of sick" secret?

3 comments:

  1. Vita Mixes!!! No doubt! Spinach baby! Nice headless chia.....you can never get rid of that thing. EVER. Where you go, it follows. Let it always be so. You know I love my netti.

    Man, I need to go write a post.

    I wanted to say, Welcome to your new reader Lori. Have we ever met?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know, I totally tried the netti a time or two... I'm not really sold on it. I hate to say it but, ya, I'm not. I think it was really good as far as releasing pressure in my head, and that was nice but it seemed like it didnt last all that long.. Maybe I just needed to do it a bunch of times? I have seen your demonstration however, comma, and boy is it something to behold! It's pretty amazing to watch you do that thing! lol. I think I will reconsider, and give it another go round.. I'll let you know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    We have met before, but many years ago. HB and I were friends in Jr. High and High School.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete