Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day #23 - Moosen

OMGoodness - Every time is like the first time...

We have lived in Summit Park for just over a year. One of our habits is to sit on the deck just off our kitchen in the mornings to enjoy the nature of it all. The first month we were here we saw Mama and Baby Moosen (our plural form of Moose) at least a few times a week.

This picture is of a small female moose in our front yard early this year...


It never gets old seeing these amazing creatures roaming around our neighborhood. I actually have mixed feelings...1) AMAZING!! We are so lucky to see and experience them. 2) I can't believe we are encroaching on their home territory!!

Our backyard connects to a path aptly named "Moose Trial". Tonight Trav and I were sitting on our deck enjoying the nice warm fall evening and we heard some grunts in the forest. We both looked at each other to confirm what we heard and I hustled inside for my camera so I could make sure to capture the moment for you. We sat around for another hour and only heard the branches crackling and grunts and snorts with no moose in sight. It was maddening to know they were just RIGHT there, but not be able to see them. Trav and I agreed this experience NEVER gets old. Every time one of us sees them we get super excited.

While we waited for the family to show themselves, we saw a couple innocently walking their dog down the path and yelled out to them to watch out for the moose we knew were just up ahead of them about 30 feet...they turned and hightailed it out of there thank goodness. I hardly ever dare to hike that trail in the spring or fall knowing there is a chance to run into them.

Our renters came up to talk to us after dark and we heard a lot more noise out back. We grabbed the mag light my parents gave us for Christmas one year and saw Mr. Moose. We were able to capture the following photo:

Bull Moose 10/2/10
Not a great photo (almost as good as headless Chia), but still...


I cannot tell you how amazing it is to see these magnificent animals in our own backyard!! I hope I can capture a better picture in the morning since they have settled down back there for the night. There is a Male, Female and Baby camped out back. It is wonderful!

I Am Grateful,
HB

More photos as promised....SOOOOOOO COOOOOOL:










2 comments:

  1. Yes, that is definitely something to be grateful for. We would love living in the middle of nature like that. Seriously, you have a sweet set up. I understand it is not all fun and games in the mountains. You have had your share of trials, and have to work a bit to keep it up. But I still think it would be worth it.

    I totally picture looking out the back windows about a 100 times a day, sipping hot cocoa, listening to some Christmas, or light jazzy kinda music in the back ground, fire crackling, some furry socks on, a couple comfy layers of clothes over favorite jeans. Man that just sounds so good! I LOVE my warm clothes.

    Here, yes we can wear those jeans, but be prepared to sweat like I did yesterday. I definitely paid the price for making that move. It took the joy of watching the boys play baseball down a few notches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those moosen are so pretty! They seem totally chill.. not like that lady that got rammed to almost death by a moose a while back. (although if you were watching they totally threw something at the moose and then it freaked out, though they didn't mention that part on the news).. I know that they are really big, but I was wondering if you would be so kind to just maybe oh, I don't know, go stand by one of them when you take a pic?!! It's hard to tell how big they are since there's not something to compare them too. OH maybe even bart could stand by them! j/k... Seriously, like min said, the hot cocoa, the layers, nice jams, and I would like to add the crisp chill in the air, that smells like fall leaves... YUMMY! It would be worth the drive every day for me! It's so peaceful at your house, love it! I will be totally stoked when it starts to finally cool down a bit. I must say I've been waiting to get on with some layering much to my sadness...

    ReplyDelete