Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day #121 - Tear Jerker's

I am realizing more and more what a big softy I am. Not only me, either. Travis is almost more of a bawl baby then I am when it comes to watching some movies. I will never forget the first time I saw Travis really cry.

I was watching "The Little Princess" with Shirley Temple when he came in the door from basketball or something. He came in and sat down to watch for a minute. In case you don't know the movie, the little girl had been left behind when her father went to war (I think it was war) and her situation turned unfortunate. In the meantime, she always remained positive she would see her father again. The scene Trav sat down to was the reunion between Father and Daughter, only the Dad did not know Sarah, he had been injured and had memory loss. Little Sarah (Shirley) was crying huge sobbing tears and pounding her little fists on his chest saying over and over again, "Daddy, Daddy, It's me Sarah...Daddy".

I was totally absorbed in the movie and heard a sniff next to me. I remember looking over at my tough husband and asking, "Are you crying". Travis looked for a split second like he was going to deny it, but then he let it out in a heart wrenching, "Yes...but she is so sad". I am ashamed to say I started laughing...hard. It was sooooo cute. That was the day I really saw through my husband's crust and into his soul. I can now spot it quite often and know when to look for it. I treasure those moments.

Tonight I watched a "Hallmark" movie called "The Lost Valentine" while I folded the laundry. I am not going to say it was a mind blowingly good TV movie, but I did enjoy it. At the end I was just folding my 15th rag and the next minute I was bawling...not like the sweet romantic tears running down my cheeks, but the wind pipe closing off, gulp air through your mouth, weird involuntary sound escaping kind of cry. It was sort of weird...Betty White said, "My husband is coming home today," and that was it...I was done. I just teared up again thinking about it.

There is something wonderful about a good cleansing cry, especially when it is not related to your own life. It is so GREAT to watch a movie that carries your emotions along with it. It makes me wish Trav had watched it with me so we could boo hoo together.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "To lead a symphany, you must occasionally turn your back on the crowd." John Olds

1 comment:

  1. Wow....had no idea Trav was a cryer. Wouldn't have guessed it. I have a hard time getting into Betty White....not sure why. Others seem to love her. Aren't they the best.....a good cry, and a good laugh. Love em.

    ReplyDelete