Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day #114 - Shower Power

Today was my Cousin Natalie's baby shower - her baby is due in 6 weeks. I knew it would take several hours out of my Saturday to go to Mapleton, but this family has been so supportive of our family over the years that I knew I had to go. My sisters, Amy & Keri, and I decided to make a day of it and drive down together. We met at a park and ride area at 3300 S. in Salt Lake and piled in with Amy's 3 kids and Keri's baby Seerie. We dropped the two oldest off to spend the afternoon with Grandpa and picked Mom up to go to the shower.

When we got there we were all lead at different times to some baby photos displayed on the fireplace hearth. Mom asked Aunt Darla (Natalie's Mom, Mom's Sister) why they had photos of Leeanne's baby displayed. Darla said, "That's Natalie's baby". WHHHAAAT? That's right, Darla thought it would be a hilarious surprise to not tell anyone the baby was born this last week. She was right, but it was quite shocking. Even Natalie's best friend showed up, gave Nat her gift and was sitting next to me on the couch for about 10 minutes when she asked whose baby photos those were. It was so weird, but fun too.

The baby is still in the hospital, but is for the most part healthy, just early. He is 5.5 lbs, named Jayden. Natalie seems happy and the other word for it is "calm". I got a real sense of calm from her today. I still can't believe she still held the shower when she just had a baby this week...crazy.

The other funny thing that happened today was baby Seerie met her 2nd cousin (Jason I think) who is only a month or so younger then she is. He is Julie's baby (Mom's Brother's daughter). Jason and Seerie were totally enamored of each other, but when Jason turned his back on Seerie she grabbed his shirt and pulled him over. Jason looked so surprised, but he put on his big boy face and didn't cry after being bested by another Demanding Dana girl (like mother like daughter). It was so cute to see them crawling around with each other.

I think it is good there are events such as a Baby Shower that bring the extended family together. It is too easy not to make time to meet with each other, but these events create the opportunity. It was just good to spend time with everyone again.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Don't ever forget to have Faith in Your Abilities, Your Talents, Yourselves" Cortney Dana (Dad) to his daughters

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I can't tell you how many times I read your header and set my mind to something.....like I assumed you were talking about a shower to get clean just now, only to be surprised to be going to an entirely different direction altogether. You keep me on my toes I tell ya.
    That is funny.....and interesting...and it sounds like a great time. Glad you all were able to go. Darla is a tricky one. I think I like her style. Weird that the best friend was just as clueless as the rest of you.
    Got a dad quote in huh? Sweet.

    ReplyDelete