Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day #174 - What?? Pleurisy?

So, I had to leave work yesterday and go to the Doctor because my back hurt so bad I couldn't event extend my arm by the time noon hit. I would be on the phone and get such a stabbing pain that I couldn't talk and once even forgot who I was talking to. Not very effective use of time. I started almost crying like 5 times - the awesome mouth deformation and whimper thing (so embarrassing) - and could barely make it to my car.

I was able (barely) to provide a urine sample at the Dr.'s office and it came out clean - this was the worst news I think I have ever received. I was banking on a Kidney Infection so I could expect almost immediate treatment and a promise of relief and I could not believe this pain was just a normal muscle tweak. Well, after conversation and probing, it turns out I have Pleurisy - when the lining around the lungs gets inflamed. My Doctor told me she thinks it was brought on by the Bronchitis I just got over as that is when she usually sees it come up for patients. The bad news is the only thing I can really do about it is take a mega anti-inflammatory. I got a shot yesterday and a prescription for some extra strength pills to take over the next few weeks. That's all I can do - oh, and lay around on a heating pad all day.

I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!!! And I don't have a choice. I am sitting here typing and it is very uncomfortable, although a thousand times better then yesterday, the only position that doesn't hurt is laying flat. I have a zillion things to do at work and I can't believe this is happening.  I want to go in for a while, but I don't know that it would be worth it. I keep telling myself if I just take ONE day, tomorrow I can be more effective. I think that is what I have to do.

Once again I am reminded not to take a healthy body for granted. I am reminded to have compassion for those with pain I don't understand. I think of my Dad and how frustrating his hip pain is for him. I think of Travis and those many months he had lower back pain and how it was necessary for me to bite my tongue when I wanted to tell him to get over it. I think of my own lower back pain that shows up now and then and how grateful I am that it is not worse then a slight discomfort. I think of the people that have debilitating back pain and cannot sit, or type, or move and I get it now. I hope this inflammation gets to a manageable pain threshold today and I hope I remember how great it feels to be healthy when I am healthy again.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it." William Arthur Ward

1 comment:

  1. Goodness. That is terrible. At least they know what you have. There is a name for it, and a possible end in sight. You have to take a break my dear. A mandatory slow down. Doctors orders. Your job will still be there when you get back. Life will go on, and maybe they will even appreciate you more on your return......???? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete