Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day #261 - Back Hand

Today I got a back handed compliment...it was so weird. I was at a meeting and I ran into a woman I used to work with all the time. She is a micro-manager type, but friendly enough and I liked working with her.

She said "Hi teenage girl" I asked what she meant by that strange greeting and she said it was because of my long hair and bright red shirt that was "blingy". Then later we were talking about not wearing nylon's with sandals and she said "well, young girls can get away with it, but us older ladies should really wear stockings"...I happened to be wearing sandals today...WITHOUT stockings. You think that is enough don't you, but no, there's more...she went on to say that it is ok for me to wear "blingy" clothes and jewelry because I am not working in the same capacity as she is and she has to be professional. Now, by this time I was starting to feel a bit offended...would you?

In the end I had to remember that she really is not a spiteful person and I am sure she didn't mean to make me feel uncomfortable...I think I'm sure. This reminds me of a book I read that explains how we create stories in our heads - she tells how she went into a public bathroom and saw a woman washing her hands and humming a lovely song. She smiled at her and went into one of the stalls and there was pee all over the toilet seat. This woman was appalled and was about to go out and give the humming woman a piece of her mind, but instead cleaned of the seat with TP, shaking her head with disgust the whole time, and then used the facilities. When she was done and the toilet flushed automatically, water came splashing up out of the bowl and soaked the seat again. She had built up a whole story in her mind about this inconsiderate individual who had no idea what was happening.

I have decided that is what I did today. I think she might have been saying she liked my hair...I'll just go with that.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up."  ~Jesse Jackson

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think I would go with that also. The other day I was checking out at Beals, a lame store here, and the checker was, I am going to guess in her 60ies, she was talking away and asked if I qualified for their senior discount. I was like, excuse me? (in my mind) open your eyes, bi@%#. I said, nope, I've got a ways to go for that, there was a lady behind me and we looked at each other.....the cashier said, oh sorry, we are just told to ask every one so that people don't get mad if they don't get their discount. So yeah. Hmmmm, I am not saying this was the same....except for some people have no tact, or brains, or clear vision, or style.....so we gotta cut them some slack.

    ReplyDelete