Monday, August 15, 2011

Day #255 - Non ya Business

What do you do when you don't know what to do? How far do you step into someone else's life when it is non ya business?? Do you stick your neck out? Do you say the hard things there are to say? Do you teeter on the edge of totter or do you upset the balance completely and risk hitting the sand and bruising your tailbone? Do you do nothing at all and risk worse?

Last night I got a call from a friend who asked me to come over without any explanation. Turns out we have a mutual friend that has an alcohol problem, was on a weekend bender and mixed a scary cocktail of alcohol, anti-depressants, sleeping pills and Ibuprofen. After much deliberation and noticing he was coherent, knew who we were and could walk to his bed, we decided not to take him to the hospital...should we have? Then we checked on him every half hour, woke him up, talked to him, put him back in bed. We also gathered up all his prescription drugs, all his vitamins everything we found that could be abused and I took them to my house.

Now what? Now what do I do? He apparently has a Doctors appointment tomorrow to look at getting himself some treatment, but he came over tonight to get his pills back. Travis told me before he came I should give them to him, it is NOT MY BUSINESS to hang onto HIS things. What if something happens to him? I gave him one bottle of anti-depressants and one bottle of sleeping pills (he had several).

THEN I was outside taking Bart potty for the night and heard a noise like a door over there, so I went to my drive-way to see if they had ventured out...nope, it was just his 14 year old son climbing on the roof from his bedroom window. Sigh...NOW what do I do? Tell his Dad? Let the boy have is quiet place? Should I have gone over and insisted he climb down? I did waive and say "Hi, are you ok?" what a DORK. Now I sit here fretting and worrying about how I can help; wondering if I want to get in the middle of something...

I guess the closest answer came with "what would Jesus do"? I am pretty sure he would react with no fear and only love as his intention. I am not perfect and will most likely make a mess of things, but it will only be because I care.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The spirit of brotherhood recognizes of necessity both the need of self-help and also the need of helping others in the only way which every ultimately does great god, that is, of helping them to help themselves.” - Theodore Roosevelt

2 comments:

  1. ok, now just to clarify....the 14 yr old roof climber is no relation to the overdoser, correct? These are two totally separate cases? Yipes. I can only say that if I was the parent I would appreciate knowing, maybe they already know??? Who knows? This reminds me of Amy's recent delving in.....it is hard to know the right thing to do. Good luck sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope...the 14 yr old is the son of our friend who is having troubles.

    ReplyDelete