Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day #251 - Visitors - Episode 2

Sunday night my friend Jen came up with her husband, Steve (now a very good friend of both Trav and I as well) and their 3 year old Erica. Steve is an avid biker, just like Travis, and broke his ankle (badly) early in the ride season in a freak biking accident. I say it is "freak" because it doesn't sound like a radical crash, but rather a poorly executed dismount. Anyway, he is limping around after surgery with screws and pins and things...poor Steve.

In the meantime, Travis is riding almost every day and giving Steve bike envy. Just the month before Steve's unfortunate ankle roll crush and burn (he had to ride an hour back to his car with a broken ankle - OY) he rode in a small bike race with Travis (see post #222 for dete's) and did REALLY well. I know this year was to be a very dedicated bike riding/training year for both of them. This bit really has nothing to do with today's post other then to express how badly I feel that he got hurt.

Anyway, we made dinner and ate on the deck and Erica tortured my cat and dog and got bored in two seconds at my un-kid-friendly house. I am realizing more and more there is NOTHING for kids to do here. Oh, I could put them in the back yard and hope they can tolerate a few ants crawling up their pants, or stick them in front of the TV, but what in the world do kids do all day? I feel like I need to invest in a toy box good for ages 1 - 11...surely 12 year olds can figure out how to entertain themselves.

At any rate, I gave some sour patch type gummy candies to Erica in a baggie and told her she could have them if she promised to be nice to Bart (the dog that bites if provoked) and she promised. Then she jumped at Bart like 1 minute later and he skittered away and scared me to death (I would die if he hurt a kid). Jen told her I was taking the candy away. She apologized and promised not to do it again so Jen told her I said she could take the candy home and have 3 pieces tomorrow. A few seconds later - BOOM she DID IT AGAIN.

Jen reacted well to the challenge I thought, although, she told Erica I was taking the candy away for good and she would have to wait for the candy until she came back next time. I REALLY wanted to cave in and give it to her - Bart was fine and she was crying so sadly and saying "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry" "I'll be nice to Bart I prooommmmisssse" all the while hiccupping and sobbing big tears. Jen just held fast and kept speaking on my behalf since I'm sure she could tell I was going to say something stupid like, "oh, it is ok she can have the gummy savers" and to Erica's credit she still found it within herself to give the mean lady who refused her treats a hug goodbye.

Next time we will go to Jen's so Erica is in her own environment. It is hard to give the kids the attention they need and deserve when friends are trying so hard to catch up after a few months of not seeing each other. It probably wasn't fair.

I did get some pretty cool flamingo stickers from Erica that I put on my favorite bookmark...very cool. It is always good to see Jen and Steve. They are such nice, funny, smart and solid friends. I really love them. The best part is Sunday was their anniversary...REALLY? Well, OK - we are happy to celebrate with you!! HAPPY 13th ANNIVERSARY Jen & Steve!!

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you." - Elbert Hubard

2 comments:

  1. Man, poor guy and his ankle.....can't believe he rode an hour back to his car after.....think I would have sat it out for the long haul and waited to be rescued.
    HB, here is an idea that you did not mention, but maybe you eventually did it. Why not just put Bart in another room and close the door? Right when they get there, before they are even seen, I would tuck my animals in a safe room out of site out of mind for everyones safety, including their own. Then you aren't worried, Erica can keep her candy and focus on touching your nick-nacks or something more productive.

    Just my 2cents.....but worth every penny of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think we didn't do that - somehow everyone kept letting him AND the cat out again. Don't you remember we tried that when you guys all came up to help with the fence? Trav and I were talking about putting him downstairs next time...maybe that will work.

    ReplyDelete