Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day #219 - "The Bathtub Lady"

I met a neighbor lady yesterday. She is SUPER sweet and her yard is like a woodland garden. I will sometimes walk by just to study her plants to see what I should be planting in my yard. Every year she holds a big yard sale and yesterday she was selling the most interesting Bird Houses (more about this in post 220).

Her name is Elaine. She is a very fit older lady with friendly eyes and a genuine smile. When she asked me if I lived in the neighborhood I told her where and she tapped her pursed lips with her finger and then did the light bulb thing - Big indrawn breath, mouth ajar, big eyes and said "YOU'RE the BATHTUB LADY!"...oh, groan!!!

I LOVE my garden tub...I just don't love it right now. We moved the tub from my little house in NSL and I have often thought I should have left it there, but I really liked it. We inherited the claw foot tub when we bought the house in NSL in 1997. The tub was white and was sitting in the driveway. It was there for at least 2 years and everyone made fun of me, but I also had people stop and offer to buy it several times while it sat there - "no way - I have plans for it". I eventually put the feet on and painted the tub bright yellow and somehow coaxed my husband (and 3 other guys) into moving it to my garden area and there it sat until we decided to move.

Travis supported my decision to move the tub and I gave up the piano to my sister in return. We moved the sucker fully loaded with dirt and flowers. I thought my Mom was going to have a heart attack worrying about it. It took six guys to load and unload the tub. The problem is, I didn't put bricks under the legs and we didn't level the area before we placed the tub. Last year it was crooked, THIS year the feet sunk into the ground because of the weight of the snow. The other problem is I can't seem to keep the flowers alive.

Needless to say it is sort of embarrassing. While I was chatting with Elaine another neighbor came walking around the corner and Elaine said "Hey, this is the bathtub lady"...I promised them I would get it straightened out and it would look really cute...hopefully this year.


The Yellow Garden Tub - getting ready to sled down 
the road. Hey M - see that fence in the background? 
It would be the project we might get to stain together...:)  


I never really thought about it before, but I guess it is a good landmark "pass the house with the yellow bathtub and then..." It was embarrassing, but funny.

I Am Grateful,
The Bathtub Lady (HB)

Diva Quote: "If you don't get everything you want, think of the things you don't get that you don't want."  ~Oscar Wilde

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like that way better than bag lady or something worse. At least you are clean! Stain the fence......ok, I like that kind of work, you don't really have to be careful w/ stain, you know what I mean? It is not like edging in a room, it will move quick I bet. I think the tub is great!

    ReplyDelete