Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day #216 - For the Birds

I think I found a new favorite pass time...looking up sayings and where they come from. I was going to write how I think counting calories is for the birds and wondered what that actually means. I know what I mean when I say "for the birds" - I mean it is a waste of time, useless.

"For the Birds" is actually a more polite way of saying something is crap. When there were more horses on the roads the birds would follow behind and peck at horse dung hoping to find some left over apple seeds. Hence the term "That crap is for the Birds" became "That's for the Birds". Just thought you might like to know.

Anyway, I know when I eat badly and when I eat well and counting calories was taking WAY too long. Besides...I have 'bigger fish to fry'...hmmmm...

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "How is it that our memory is good enough to retain the least triviality that happens to us, and yet not good enough to recollect how often we have told it to the same person? " ~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I really like that. Now when I use that saying I will know what I am saying, and I will mean it. I hope you share more of those tid bits. I am certain I spout off many a saying w/out the slightest real clue about their origins or true meaning. I would enjoy taking my "saying" repertoire up a few notches. So to you, I say, I AM GRATEFUL.

    ReplyDelete