Monday, June 6, 2011

Day #214 - Just Married

As I was zipping up the Canyon today on my way home I came speeding up on a car with "Just Married" written on the back window. I was in a hurry to get home, but had to slow down for a minute while I waited my turn to pass the slow poke. In that moment of hesitation I began to reflect...

Remember when you were "just married"? When I was up at my Mom's the other day we were all comparing wedding stories. Melissa and her imagined hair disaster; Melanie and her almost-rain-tragedy-turned-Uncle-Jim-miracle-prayer; Me and my 3-layer-should-have-been-4-layer cake incident; Keri and the Mother-in-law-insisted-300-would-be-there-now-150-extra-silver-dollar-sandwiches-leftover debacle; Amy and sweaty handed Lance; Chuck and Aunt Cheryl's phone playing "Eye of the Tiger" or something during the ceremony; Mom waiting 2 hours for Dad to pick her up to go on their honeymoon to the cabin in the woods, Jason taking Melanie CAMPING on their honeymoon - tent and all, etc. We actually talked for a good hour about everyone's memories of each other's weddings.

Passing that little car with comments all over the windows helped me remember the excitement of driving together with Travis up to Jackson Hole for our honeymoon. How wonderful it was to be married to my best friend and a man I admired. I remember how young I was - only 20. I remember our first big fight dealing with an apple core hitting the top of the precious Acura Integra on its way out the window. Now I think how funny that fight was and how our fights have both escalated and diminished over the last 17 years. We were immature then and still are in many ways, but we have also grown up together.

If you are married now, take a minute to remember those times. Laugh at the bad memories and cherish the happy ones - they are all good!!

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Marriage is an alliance entered into by a man who can't sleep with the window shut, and a woman who can't sleep with the window open."  ~George Bernard Shaw

Calories: 1,678

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, all I can say is I was a total spoiled brat. I look back and cannot believe the issues I took offense to. Glad we can live and learn and grow up (and that our spouses stick with us while we figure it out!!!). I am still a brat from time to time.....but a much more mature one!! hehe

    ReplyDelete