Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day #95 - Christmas Chaos

This year was the first of many that I was able to embrace the chaos. In an earlier post I mentioned I wanted to enjoy the individuals and I set out to do that on Christmas Eve.

I always enjoy being with my large family and this year was no exception, but I usually feel worn out when we leave and a bit frayed around the edges. This year we still were the first ones out the door to go home, but I felt happy. I know the change was me because it was just as loud, just as chaotic, just as noisy (did I say that already :) but just "being" with it actually felt...empowering.

The kids were pretty good during dinner, the Nativity story and even when the candles were lit there was only one tiny incident when Golden (30+ years old - LOL) dropped his lit candle on the floor. Everyone else held on through the singing. Then it was present time - WOW do kids get excited or what? Usually this is where I start to feel agitated - the noise, the jumping, the throwing of stuff and paper...this year the excitement was infectious.

The best part of the gift opening was when my 15 year old niece Josie opened the cousin exchange present that Melissa obviously put together for her. It had lots of "free" stuff in it that Melissa gets by being the Master Coupon Diva and front and center were two packs of feminine hygiene pads - I saw Josie open the lid and put her arm over it and try to get the lid down before her Mom said "what did you get?" Too Late Josie - next thing you know the packs of pads were being tossed about the room to hooting laughter...I think Josie realized most of the teasing was directed at Melissa in the "what were you thinking" category. Both of them were great sports about it. I think her Dad's face (my older brother) was more red then hers truth be told and one of the nephews asked Josie if they were band aids and what was so funny. Precious.

The last few years my Mom has been infected with the novelty gift. She buys t-shirts for all her kids and spouses. Sometimes she is RIGHT ON with them and they are pretty funny. This year she also got Chuck a bandanna with "flair hair" attached to it. All the boys tried it out, but my Dad couldn't just put it on and smile, he had to make this weird face - here is a picture of some of what I am talking about:


I have such a great family and am so blessed. I am so glad we could all be together for Christmas.

I Am Grateful,
HB
Our Family Photo - December 2010


I think I neglected to write about Trav's family Christmas celebration and will correct that in another post.

Diva Quote: I am listening to a book on tape, a novel called Open House. It is basically about a woman pulling herself together after a divorce. It is not the most inspiring read and I wish it would move along into the 'moving on' section since there is only 1 CD left, but today she said something like, "You live your life and get to ask for things and sometimes they are given to you." I liked that.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man.....what a perfect recap...I am going to just put a link on my blog to yours! You captured it girl!! You really did.

    ReplyDelete