Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day #85 - Mommacita

I must write an ode to my Mother. I am sorry it is lengthy, but too bad, this is my Mom I am writing about...It was Mom's Birthday yesterday and I neglected to call her. It was my sweet husband who reminded me today by asking, "please tell me you called your Mom yesterday to wish her a happy birthday...No? You really are not a very good daughter - no wonder you are the sixth favorite." Travis called me "sixth favorite" a while back after some sort of discussion about what everyone 'gets' from our parents. It was hilarious to me and we use the term more as an endearment and joke now.

My Mother is the kindest, forgiving, big hearted, joyful woman I know when it comes to her kids. She is the Mother Bear of defense and works hard to make each of us feel special to her. It is dangerous to call Mom when you want to have a "poor baby" moment, because she gives it to you without question. Today when I talked to her I told her how bad I felt about not calling in a timely manner and she immediately started to make excuses for me..."MOM, you shouldn't feel guilty because I didn't call you..." she just laughed.

I have so many funny and lovely memories to carry with me through my life. I AM SOOO LUCKY to have her as my Mom. I want to share a few of my very favorites...

The TERRIFYING: When I was a snotty teenager I was giving her some lip and she told me to knock it off (yes, she used the gritted teeth, snap and finger point at me for emphasis). I smirked and said "what are ya gonna do, chase me?" When I saw the intent light up in her eyes I did a little double take, then she moved. Ma was QUICK. She hurdled the couch and I gave a squeak and high tailed it down the battle hall into her bedroom. I was too late to close the door before she pushed it open, grabbed me by my shirt, threw me on the bed, straddled me, clenched her jaw and while pointing at my face said, "I can catch you ANYTIME I want to"....I believe I was startled, breathless, nervous, giggly and whimpered a "sorry" and we both had good a laugh about it...she couldn't hurt me, even if she wanted to, but I have always remembered the incident and didn't challenge her to a race again anytime soon.

The ROCK: One time my friends stood me up when I thought we were going to go to a movie together. I realized they had left me behind on purpose and it hurt me badly. No one else was around that night or were doing other things and Mom and I sat to watch a show or movie on TV. I was trying to be brave, but Ma saw through it. She finally told me to come to her. She just put her arms around me and I started to cry. I don't remember her saying much, she just held me and rocked me like I was a baby. It was just what I needed in that moment.

The AFTER SCHOOL SPECIAL: My Mom worked off and on growing up. She babysat kids for several years and it took a toll on her. There was also a time when she worked at Nielson's Custard, I worked there too. It was strange to get home from high school and call out "Mom?" and realize she wasn't there. I am grateful I realized at a rather early age how lucky I had been to have her to talk to. She is a good listener and I can tell some long and boring stories, but I always felt she was interested and she was always there.

The COOK: Mom always goes overboard cooking for her kids and their families. At Thanksgiving this year it was disturbing to see the mashed potatoes continue to appear just when I thought we were making a dent in them. I wonder how many she peeled and mashed up? She always DOES for us and rarely expects anything in return. We try to be helpful, but she makes it very easy to be lazy. She also has this incredibly irritating habit of apologizing for her talents - nothing is every just right or good enough. She has been doing better because we have started pointing it out to her, but that REALLY bothers me.

The POOR BABY: Not too long ago I was in charge of watching after a young lady (15 at the time) who completely lied to me. In a nutshell it made me look bad and I felt betrayed and stupid because even as it was happening I KNEW it was happening, but I chose to trust this person and gave them the benefit of the doubt. As I drove home all I could think of was "I want my Mom". I called and Dad told me she was outside...I hesitated to interrupt her yard work, but told him it was sort of important. The SECOND I heard my Mom's voice I broke down in tears...It was hard for her not to chuckle since she went through all kinds of shenanigans with us as teenagers, but she was very sympathetic and I immediately felt better after she gave me just enough of what I was after.

I could obviously go ON AND ON about her. She knows all of these stories, I have talked about them over the years, but I wanted to share them publicly because she is such a special woman and I couldn't ask for a better Mother.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Mirror, mirror on the wall, I am my Mother after all" - AND THAT IS JUST FINE BY ME!! I couldn't figure out where that saying came from at a quick look...TONS of people site the saying, but no one gets credit for it...Anyone know?

1 comment:

  1. What a tribute. A very enjoyable read dear one. Great memories. Mom is a good-un....and you are a great writer. I love doing these kinds of posts the most. Yes they take some time, but it is so much fun to write and reminisce. I imagine you were crying your eyes out, laughing some to.

    ReplyDelete