Monday, December 13, 2010

Day #88 - Light 'em Up

I have to admit I am a bit Scrooge-ish about decorating for Christmas, but I DO love the Christmas Tree. I will just sit and stare at it forever watching the lights blink. I love lots of lights on my trees - the more, the better. My cat loves them too.

The last few years we have had difficulty keeping the cat from climbing the tree. I still find fur stuck in the branches when arranging the limbs after pulling it out of storage. This year she just has a favorite branch she likes to lean on while her back legs are still on the floor. Maybe she is getting too old to climb...? On her favorite branch there is a big red flower she keeps knocking off. She likes to play with it and chew on the plastic stem. At first I made a fuss over it, but now I just let her have it...who cares and she seems to really like sitting by it at night, stretched out in front of the fire.


I do miss a good "REAL" Christmas Tree. We used to always get a real tree. Sometimes it was touch and go by the time X-mas rolled around with the branches drying to a crisp and the lights got so hot. That was always the LONGEST part of putting up the tree. Dad would have us sit and uncoil all the lights from years before and our job was to make sure all the bulbs worked, then replace any that were out. I think Dad used outside lights on our tree. I have one long strand of exterior lights on mine that blink, flash, alternate between colors, etc. I love the variety.

Anyway, Dad always did the lights and it seemed to take an eternity. Once the lights were "perfect" we would get to place ornaments on the tree. This only took minutes compared to lights. Lights always took the longest time, but made the tree as beautiful as it could be. Those trees were always an adventure. Fighting over which one to buy, picking one then deciding it was too much money, trying out a flocked tree one year that looked so whimpy and sad we gave up on it and picked a new one, Dad cutting the trunk 5 times until it was finally level, surprising Mom one year with a new fully decorated tree after our first one died...There was always anticipation and excitement in the air when the Christmas Tree was set up.

Now I do the lights on our tree every year. I am not saying I LOVE it, and I am sure Trav would do them if I asked, but for some reason it feels right that I inherited that responsibility from my Dad. I like them JUST SO...

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "I dwell in Possibility" Emily Dickinson

My Tree Pictures:



 AND Bart - staring adoringly at Travis (with scary glowy eyes)



1 comment:

  1. I to do the lights around here. But believe me they are done in a flash. Bing, bang, boom. It still looks great, but w/out all the mega fuss. Your tree looks beautiful! New spot for it huh? Our's was different this year also. Every time we watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (I think that is what it is called, w/ Chevy Chase) it reminds me of dad so much.
    There were so many fads w/ the Christmas trees when we were growing up...you mentioned the flocked, then there was the silver hanging "icicle" strands, that was big time. The gold garland stuff that we would wear around like jewelry. Hats, bracelets, necklaces, the whole nine yards....loved that stuff. It seems like things have just kind of settled down now to whatever you want goes.
    Love the thought of possibility to!

    ReplyDelete