Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day #86 - Slick Teeth

Don't you LOVE a good clean tooth? That fresh minty tingle after a vigorous and thorough brushing when you can breath in through your mouth and feel the fresh tingle in your nose? And isn't it incredible that I could pull up information about the invention of the toothbrush in 1 minute to share with you???

There are versions of the toothbrush clear back in 3000 B.C. - like the "chew stick". one guess what that bad boy looks like. That's right, a chewed up stick. Mass production of a toothbrush started as far back as the 1700's, but the nylon toothbrush bristles of today came about first around 1938 by way of "Dr. Wests Miracle Toothbrush."

I am so glad I get to brush my teeth to slick clean every night and morning, sometimes in between, with the Miracle stick...sweet and minty fresh.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The virtue of the universe is wholeness. It regards all things as equal." Tao Te Ching

This quote reminds me of a story...I can't remember the story exactly, or even where I read it, but I will try to relate what I remember (based on a true story) and hope the message at least squeaks through.

A Priest decided to retire to a monastery to master self esteem. He believed he could not truly esteem himself the way God intended until he was "no respecter of persons" - or until he no longer felt any individual was greater or less than anyone else, including himself. All are equal, all are one. He studied for many years until he felt he was one with all things/people. For many more years he dedicated his life to teaching others the principles of self-esteem until one day he met the Pope. When he took the Popes hand in his, he realized his palm was sweating with nervous excitement and understood immediately he had not yet fully embraced the principle.

Now, I can't remember if it was a Monk or a Priest, a Monastery or a Church - but I like the principle of self-esteem in the story. It was the first time I understood the term "no respecter of person's" and didn't think of it as just plain rude. I do like the idea of all being equal and know it to be true. It would be amazing to discipline my mind to stay in that space. All I can do is work on it.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of "slick teeth" I just had my six month dentist apt. yesterday. So mine are EXTRA slick...that is a feeling to relish. Did you know that as we age our teeth get more "sticky"....they get tiny pits and divits. What a bummer. Some friends and I were discussing how stuff seems to get stuck in our teeth more and more the older we get. One of the smarty pants there piped up with the news of the stickiness.

    Man, I do that also. I am always raising or lowering my point system of myself throughout the day depending on who I am with. It is very hard not to do that isn't it? It is such a habit....I guess it is good to start by being aware that I do it.....and to realize how dumb and false and inaccurate it truly is. Done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had my appointment this month too. Instead of polishing the teeth this new dentist assistant did a sand blasting thing...I don't think I really liked it much. I had to stop her when she started to sand blast my tongue...very uncomfortable and I was convinced she was going to take my gums off...I didn't really love the other way either, but at least I was used to it. A lot of complaining...I guess this is one of those things where you have to go through the pain to reap the reward.

    ReplyDelete