Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day #291 - English As My First Language

I think I need to take a grammar class. I wrote an email today that had to be reviewed by our attorney and he informed me that apostrophes are used in the possessive not anytime I want to use them or for every word with an "s" on the end...and there has to be a "neither" to use a "nor" and I have a thing with commas...hmmmm...maybe you have noticed. I wanted to tell him you don't need to use "that" so much...but decided it would be childish. Now I am scared to use a comma...so you will see lots of "..." - JK.

I actually just had to look up how to correctly spell "comma" I didn't want to confuse you with the use of "coma", although this post might put you in one. I enjoy reading and I enjoy writing, but it would be great to take a class on punctuation, although it was never an enjoyable part of school - dissecting sentences. Frankly, I would rather dissect a frog; my hope is I will learn the correct usage for all of these amazing symbols:;",.'./`~-{] ...etc. I also just learned I have been using "then" when I should be using "than"...have you wondered?

I am an American and should really know how to use English correctly. I will look at online classes tomorrow...

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it" Orlando A. Battista

2 comments:

  1. Yuck! Don't bother with that class. Let him have his power trip. I use ...... constantly. It is way funner (funner is not a word)! Who cares? (sentence fragment) I like it and use it often. Sue me! Sew too bad four him! It is great that you have such a smart guy to check over your work. I am shur U R not alone in your errors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - he wasn't rude about it. I made fun of the whole thing and he explained how law school made him into something of a grammar Nazi. But you are funnie - it feals so rong reading some of you're sentenses. LOL HB

    ReplyDelete