Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day #289 - Bulbs

This weekend I got to go help my sister Keri pick out some tulips for her new rental house. We went and bought some bulbs and a rake, then weeded the front flower beds and back yard. We were lucky that the flower beds were actually in pretty good shape and the weeds that were there came up quite easily. Then Seerie and I laid out the bulbs for Keri to plant and she used my bulb planter to get those babies in the ground.

It really brought me back to the first time I planted in my own place. It took me 12 years to get my little house planted the way I wanted it. There was a lot of trial and error, lots of plants died, I transplanted various plants and most of the time they did really well. I remember buying tools until I found the ones I now love to use and I remember constantly weeding that yard.

I drove by my little house after I finished at Keri's - it looked really pretty good. The fall flowers are in full bloom and will need to be cut back before the snow falls; It was fun to watch the flowers cycle thru their season when we lived there and I get some rather large satisfaction knowing someone else is enjoying my efforts.

I also got a lot of satisfaction helping my sister and watching her get excited about something that I love as well.  I think in the end Keri planted 140 tulips. I hope they all come up in the spring!! I will try to help with her annuals and a few summer perennials when May rolls around...can't wait.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size."  ~Gertrude S. Wister

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! 140?! That is tons....how much did that cost? You know I gotta know. That was great that you were able to go help her. Kind of an over whelming task is you ask me. Nothing can get me motivated around here. It is just no fun in FL. Blah...............! I also loved planting and maintaining in Utah. Now I will just be happy for you guys. Looking forward to some pics of Keri/Goldens place....haven't seen any yet. hint, hint, no one is going to help me here but you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - I will get some photos for you the next time I am there. The bulbs cost $13 for 90 and $10 for another 50 (different colors and type of bloom). Not too bad for flowers that come up year after year. I think you can do a lot with your tropical climate...I just watch for flowers blooming each month that I think are pretty in other people's yard or office buildings (maybe the temple), find out what they are and then plant them...before you know it...boom - you are spending more time outside wilting with your blooms because you won't be able to stay away!! :)

    ReplyDelete