Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day #287 - The Cat Came Back

Today my co-worker got good news and I liked the story so think I should share it in memory of Lardo - the cat that found it's way home from West Farmington after deciding chasing mice was not his fondest wish after all.

Carrie's cat is an outside cat. Lester comes and goes thru the dog door. One August evening he did not come home. Much effort was made to locate Lester to no avail. Today Carrie received a call from a man who lives in Little (or is it Big) Cottonwood Canyon who said he had Lester at his house. Carrie lives around 110th South, which is quite a ways from the Cottonwoods (Big OR Little).

Apparently, Lester showed up 4 weeks ago and started sharing the food he puts out for his other outdoor cats, but Lester was skittish and would not allow Mr. Cottonwood to look at his tag until today. I am excited to see how the reunion goes this evening and wonder if Lester will continue in his Nomad ways  and take off on his own again or stick around this time.

This reminds me of the time I lost Bart in Mueller Park Canyon. It was the 4th of July and Bart was probably only a year or two old. I was hiking up the trail w/him while Travis rode his mountain bike and took him off his leash. I would have him sit by my side when a bike came by, but one time there were two bikes and as the first one passed Bart stepped out onto the trail to watch it and the 2nd bike slammed on its breaks and skid. Bart just took off down the trail and disappeared.

I must have walked up and down that trail 10 times calling him. Travis was not very pleased, I cried a lot that night, but we had to leave him in the Canyon. All night fireworks were going off and Travis and I just sat and thought about our poor puppy in the scary canyon all alone with the wild animals and loud noises.

The next day my brother Jason brought his dog Helmet out to help us look. They were in front of me and I came around a corner, not far from where I lost him on the trail, and Bart was standing there looking after his buddy Helmet; probably wondering if he should follow him. I had assumed he ran straight down the trail, but he jumped off the trail and hid in the bushes from the bikes. Silly dog.

I like the animal success stories - there is something motivating and cheering when a defenseless animal conquers all...hip, hip, hooray Lester.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.” Winnie the Pooh

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm not sure Lester's was a success story. But it would be interesting to see like you said to see if he sticks around. Rather than saying "Silly Cat" I would be more likely to say "Stupid Lameo" .....sorry, but if it doesn't want to stay at home....why are they going to go hunting for days to find it? I should not even comment. I have no good words.

    OK, Bart's situation was totally different....he got scared, he was only 1 year old. Now that is a good ending, I am glad you found that sweet little guy.

    I feel like the Tin Man when it comes to most animals....if I only had a heart I would G.A.R.A. I guess I have become pretty jaded.

    Hmmmm, should I erase this and say nice message?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA - No, I love your meanness...It reminds me of when we were kids. JK.

    ReplyDelete