Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day #138 - What a Difference a Day Makes...

WHEW - I feel so much better. I couldn't even get out of bed yesterday. I don't think I remember ever feeling so bad. I know there are books and movies that portray a hero or heroin who become bed ridden from illness or accident and it seems so doable. The book or move portrays the trial in weeks or days at a time, but it is only a few pages or a few scenes. I was out of it for only ONE NIGHT AND ONE DAY and I have decided there is nothing romantic about it.

Although...Travis did sit by my bedside holding my hand so that when I woke up from my feverish delirium with one strand of hair artfully draped across my moist forehead; Travis was there, unshaven, unshowered and his hair disheveled from his restless fingers as he stayed up pacing the floor in frustration & worry ALL night long. When I finally opened my eyes and he saw me look at him with recognition and adoration, he broke down in tears and told me how much he loved me...NOT!!! Give me a break - who are they kidding???

I will say Travis was very thoughtful and made sure I had everything I needed. One time I did wake up with him looking at me strangely. When I asked him if I was snoring he said "no, you were whimpering - do you need anything?"...AH, Sweet.

I had a fever of almost 101 degrees. I know that doesn't seem ultra high, but I ached EVERYWHERE. I tried to sleep all day, but I was so hot, then so cold. My knees, neck and back ached and even my elbows felt stiff. I went to the doctor and was told I had the first stages of bronchitis...YEAH!! MEDS PLEASE. Last night at about 9:00 p.m. I started to sweat and realized right away the fever had broken. Schwew!!

I have thought a lot about the people in my life who have been bed ridden for an extended length of time and how desperate it must have felt for them. I admire the strength and courage it takes to work through an extended illness and remain strong in spirit. I hope I never have the opportunity to live up to their example.

What I have learned, once again, is to be grateful for my health, such that it is. For all my bodies short comings and all my bad choices - I have been getting by pretty good. It has been years since I have taken antibiotics, my blood pressure is surprisingly good, today I made it up the stairs without collapsing on the bed to catch my breath and I plan to take one more rest day tomorrow to fully recover from the bronchitis.

This has been a good time of reflection for me...I realize I can do better.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "The first wealth is health" Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. Dang Hug! I didn't know you have been sick! I had bronchitis/pneumonia a few years ago... It laid me out for about a week!!!!! I have never been so sick in all my life... Knock on wood. It's the whole body aching and sooooooooo weak, every cough, and there are lots of them, is extremely painful.. Feel better sister! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man....you had me going Hug...reading about Trav, and the up at night worrying...I was shaking my head in amazement....yowsa! good one. I know what you mean.... Bronchitis! Thank you! I am making my way to the doctor today for my cough...K is forcing me....I don't want to go for nothing. Would hate to hear, you have a "viris" it will end when it is done with it's health ravaging course. I hope I have a namable bacteria so I can be done w/ this endless coughing (really only been 10 days....but still). Heck....what a work out for the abs though.

    ReplyDelete