Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day #314 - What Up Chuck?

Today is my baby brother's birthday - Charles Glenn Dana aka "Chuck". Mom & Dad named him after one of our great grandfathers and were told never to call him by that nic name. When we were growing up in Bountiful everyone called him Charles except my older sister Melissa aka "Mindy"; she called him "Chuckie". Once we moved and Charles grew older the nic name started to stick, now "Chuck" just seems like his 'given' name. Still to this day, when we run into people from the old neighborhood and they inquire about the family, they ask about Charles and it always trows me off a bit, but that old traditional name is there if he ever decides to use it, just as Melissa matured her name to the original over time.

What are 10 things I love about Chuck?

1 - FAMILY MAN - I don't know why I am always surprised to see Chuck at all the family dinners. I guess I look at other single men his age and figure there might be somewhere he would rather be, but he is always there when he can make it, which is most of the time. I know how much it means to my parents to see him often and it is always better to see the ones we love in person when possible. Chuck will come to dinner even though he needs sleep after working a grave yard shift or is about to head to a 12 hour shift, he does date, but still makes time for all of us...this matters and I love him for making time.

2 - FUNNY WORDS - Chuck is so funny and most of the time he uses funny words or abbreviations in his writing and always makes shocking and funny comments...for instance, I pulled this off facebook..."bowled a 246 last night, huzzah!! my new ball is legit!:) last day of this clinical rotation tomorrow, I hope nobody else dies on my watch! haha" I love to read his posts. I think Chuck taught my Dad how to fist bump and blow it up and he pretty much talks the way he writes, which is awesome.

3 - SINCERE - Chuck isn't always funny. We can start having a conversation and it will be light and all in good fun, but then suddenly he will turn serious to explain a comment that may have come across as insincere or flippant. Whenever this happens I see a bit of "Charles" in Chuck...I like catching those glimpses of him. It feels a bit like looking through a lighted window at night. I like the sincere Chuck a lot.

4 - MOJO - I HAVE to use this word in Chuck's list because it is one he is fond of. I know Chuck uses it to refer to his sex appeal (he lovingly calls it 'Dana Mojo') & hearing the word used in a normal, halfway snarky sentence always drives me bonkers. I mean it to reflect Chuck's confidence and style. Chuck takes good care of himself; he is fit and strong. Chuck is a good looking dude and his style is casual scruff - I guess that is how I would say it. He mostly wears levi's when I see him stepping out, but he looks great in a suit. I have learned I am a terrible match maker, but I have often thought about setting up my good looking brother...for the most part I have decided to stay out of my siblings love life.

5 - MOVE IT - This is in reference, not to his own multiple moves over the last few years, but to his willingness to be there for the rest of us. He has helped all of us move. He never complains, he just digs in and asks where things go and how he can help. Chuck knows he is there on family business and he gets some serious stuff done, while having fun at the same time.

6 - UNCLE CHUCK - I think Chuck is a GREAT Uncle. He loves to show off his beautiful nieces..."is this a dating strategy?" you may ask...No, I do not believe it is. Those little nieces have him wrapped around their fingers. He would do anything for them and the nephews.

7 - PAPA CHUCK - Don't be shocked, Chuck has not been multiplying and replenishing the earth (at least to my knowledge), but he has 2 cats and he loves those two SOOOOO much. Chuck lives in apartments and has lugged those cats (Penny & Boss) to many new homes. I like hearing stories about the cats, I like to see him with them (he is so sweet) and he posts their pictures on his facebook page quite often to show them off. Chuck has always had a thing for cats - I distinctly remember a photo of him around age 5 or 6 wearing a Boulton Bulldozer shirt and moon boots while lugging our cat Lardo dangled over one arm. It is touching to see him take such kind care of his animals; I think the way people treat their pets spotlights much about a person's character.

8 - THE BABY - Sorry Chuck, but you are the youngest among 5 siblings and I think it is a good enough reason to list. I have joked around before that I am my parents 6th favorite, well Chuck is 1st favorite. I always tease him about how spoiled he is and how much Mom fonds and frets over him; the funny thing is we all do it - at least the sisters. How can we not fret over our baby brother? The best part is he turned 31 today and I just can't help thinking of him as anything other than that.

9 - SMART GUY - Not just a smart alec, but also VERY smart. It seemed like Chuck was at loose ends for a bit, but now he is going to school to become a Respiratory Therapist. The medical field suites him so well and I am so happy he has zeroed in on a choice. I seem to also remember he enjoyed math and science. At least I think he really excelled in those subjects and for a minute there I thought he would study Math in school. Chuck is also the more techno savvy one out of all of us. Keri and Chuck were the first to really text message and create facebook pages, etc. We have learned a lot from watching them use these tools successfully. I also know if I text Chuck, he will get back to me quickly. It is reassuring to know he will respond to any lame text I send him.

10 - QUEST BUDDY - Chuck and I used to be close as we were growing up. I think we drifted apart once my family moved to American Fork and I stayed in Bountiful to finish my Senior year of High School. We ended up taking a 'self improvement' class together several years ago after two of our siblings had gone through the same class. It was an amazing experience and such an honor to get to know him again on a more personal level. I have many memories of those weeks we spent in class, but I will always remember and be grateful to my brother who held me up, literally and figuratively, during that time. Chuck was my friend, my confidant, my teacher, my example as well as my brother during those weeks. I am proud of him, I trust him and I love him very much.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY BRO!!!
(Chuck with the Nieces)


I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Interesting...Brad Pitt sporting a v-neck under a v-neck... I always felt silly doing this but apparently it's okay...or maybe just for Brad Pitt to do...damn that man!! lol" Chuck Dana

2 comments:

  1. " I think the way people treat their pets spotlights much about a person's character." hmmmm, this does not bode well with me. I fear for my character.
    Nice write up....I really like the last one. Chuck is a good un for sure.

    Will you finally tell me about Quest? Do you believe at last that I will never be attending? Maybe it is too private and special.....that I can understand. But it sure would be neat to hear about you, and the other siblings experiences there. It may be more the type of thing you just keep to yourself though. Kind of like a very spiritual experience. I always thought you guys wouldn't talk about it because you didn't want to "ruin" it for the rest of us when we went......not an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can talk about it when you come out to visit. It really is about allowing others to experience the Quest in their own way...that is all.

    ReplyDelete