Friday, November 25, 2011

Day #312 - Friendly Dinners

We just got home from dinner at Steve and Jen's house. There were 11 adults there and 2 kids and everyone brought appetizers (except me, I was assigned bread) and Steve made Lentil Soup. It was really yummy. Jen made pumpkin humus and Steve made baguettes w/goat cheese and cranberries. There were a few others, but those were the best.

Everyone at the party was really quite nice and it was a very relaxing evening visiting with friends and meeting a few new people.

To report back on a few outstanding items...Thanksgiving was nice. We went to Trav's Mom's house and dinner was delicious as expected. My yams looked weird, but they tasted ok. I made raspberry Jello w/raspberries inside and, in an effort to be creative for the Holidays, I used some jello molds that I have had since Trav and I got married, but have never used in 17 years. I dumped them out on a plate and then cut up bananas around the plate for garnish with some dollops of whip cream...it was pretty funny, but people seemed to like it ok.

My Brother-in-law, Mike, brought the mashed potatoes. They were DELICIOUS, but wait 'til you hear what is in them...Potatoes (duh), lots of butter, cream cheese, cream, half 'n half and then butter on the top and baked to create a crust. No gravy needed for those bad boys. They were very good - Mike called them "Once a year potatoes" - I agree.

The pies were also delightful, but Jolene really does make a lovely pumpkin pie. It is not like the normal pumpkin pies - it is more of a cream pie, but super thick and I love the flavor. I don't really know how to explain it, but it is really the only pumpkin pie I like to eat.

I did manage to forget my camera AND my phone...how lame is that? So, no photos this year.

Trav DID end up going to the gym on Thanksgiving Day - I was surprised to hear they were open for 1/2 a day. So all is right with the world.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "If I were invited to a dinner party with my characters, I wouldn't show up." Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I thought Kev's favorite potatoes were bad, just a block of cream cheese, cube butter, condensed milk......the half/half and cream....wow! I bet they were amazing though. Fun splurge! I would like to try the pumpkin hummus. I am into making my own hummus lately. I really love that stuff. I screwed up the pumpkin pie this year, very bummed about that. Why do I mess with the tried and true? I made an "ice box" pumpkin pie to try something different. It called for gelatin, and cream cheese... it just was not as good. I have been trying to force feed it to Ethan and I since Thanksgiving so I don't waste it. But I have truly had enough....sick to death of it and am going to throw it away today. Live and learn....stick with the tried and true on some things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to get that recipe for you if you want it...It was REALLY good. Sorry to hear about your pie...did you only have the one or were there others to choose from?

    ReplyDelete