Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day #301 - Picture Perfect

Rachael married Lin in September. Lin bought the house next door to ours one month after we moved into our home 2 years ago. We saw Lin go through 2 or 3 girlfriends since we've lived here and then he met Rachael - his soul mate. They actually seem to fit quite well with each other. They are both very earth friendly, active, outgoing, nature loving people. This is the first marriage for both of them and they are in their late 30's. I think it is going to go well for them.

Rachael invited me to her shower today, which was super sweet of her and I was excited to go so I could begin to get to know her better. The shower was a "Salvage Shower". The idea is to bring something for the bride from your own home that you no longer use or want. What a strange idea, but brilliant, in a way, and perfect for her.

It took me a while to decide what to give her. I think I mentioned before that when I moved here I got rid of most of my "stuff" or just didn't hang anything up. When I got back from our trip to Denver recently I went into my bedroom and asked Travis if we had been robbed - he said, "no, there was never anything on the walls." Oh, right. It was a weird feeling and since then I have been double thinking my minimalist strategy.

I decided on a set of sconces, that I have never been able to hang straight and therefore did not hang them up when we moved from the other house, and a beautiful coffee table book that I bought a long time ago in Jackson Hole or San Diego or, strangely, maybe Park City somewhere. Lin is a photographer, so I figure he can appreciate the composition and lighting, etc. and they do not own a TV (by choice) so I thought it would at least give them something to look at for 30 minutes.

The book is called "Windows to the World" by John & Debora Scanlan. I looked through the book last night to say 'Good Bye' and had a hard time deciding to let it go...so I took some picture of some of my favorite pages (sneaky, I know) here they are for your viewing pleasure:

I love the colorful, charming buildings & the incredible settings:


 My Personal Favorites - so tranquil:


How would it be to live at the bottom of this Mountain?


I took these so I can look at them once in a while; now I won't miss the book. I remember wanting to buy one of the photographs for my house, but the big ones were pretty pricey so I got the coffee table book instead. Some day I intend to buy a large photograph by Peter Lik to hang in my home...someday.

The shower was small and intimate, but I met 3 new ladies, saw a house that I love looking at from the street when I drive by it and RE-met the neighbor who moved in across the street just this Summer. Rachael said, "I think you have met Danny" and I said "no", Danny said, "yes, we've met", I said, "I don't think so." I have met her...TWICE. Once I realized who she was, I was astonished (and embarrassed) to note her hair is quite a bit darker then the last time we spoke - WAY DARKER...SCHWEW!!! At least I had that going for me!!! Brother - what a lunatic. Oh Well.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "Memory itself is an internal rumour."  ~George Santayana

2 comments:

  1. So did she get some other cool stuff as well? I like that idea....a salvage shower. It works good for all parties involved if you ask me. Plus, I would think when people are not spending money they would be much more generous, throwing extra stuff in, just like you did. If you bought the gift you likely would have only gotten the sconces.....but this way they got the cool photography book as well. BONUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very small shower - 8 of us all together. She really didn't get that great of stuff and 2 of them brought gag gifts. I can see how it is a GREAT idea and do agree with your theory. HB

    ReplyDelete