Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day #9 - Dad's Dirty Ethics

I was very disappointed a few years ago when my yellow Dyson Vacuum conked out on me. Those vacuums are expensive so I decided to get a cheaper version - I think it was a Dirt Devil or maybe even a Hoover. Well, that didn't last long either so when I moved to my new house a year ago, I purchased the Purple Dyson hoping to have better luck this time.

I am sorry to say the last few weeks and off and on over the last few months it seems the Purple Vac is losing suction...I run over a piece of string 4 times and it still isn't picking it up. I decided to investigate the thing instead of just emptying out the canister to see if I could discover a way to fix it.

Sitting on the floor with the purple disappointment upended and sitting in my lap, scissors cutting through thick hair and string that had got caught around the roller over time, I was reminded of my Dad. I don't know how many times I sat by him on the floor when he emptied the bag of dust and grime that had accumulated inside onto newspaper in the family room. I think the bag was permanent so you couldn't just take the bag out and insert a new one. I remember when we had to go through the grime because a suspected treasure had been sucked up and I remember my Dad taking that thing apart to de-clog it and how he would sit with the vacuum in his lap cutting the hair and grime out of the way.  This was the first thing I tried and the reason I knew what to do is because, as a kid, I watched my Dad.

I think I learned a strong work ethic from Dad. I think he must have traveled two weeks out of every month and when he was home he seemed to constantly be working on projects. We would weed with him on the weekends, he would let us help him work on the house hanging sheet rock (he'd let us snap that blue chalk line maker - our favorite part), we would watch him build our forts, the playhouse and swing set, the dog kennels and other animal shelters and we would watch him painstakingly stain the redwood house every 5 years using scaffolding all around the tall walls. And BOY would Dad sweat hard. I remember it would drip off his nose and he ALWAYS had a hankie in his pocket or tied around his face, ALWAYS - I sure picked up my Dad's sweat glands.

I'm not saying I loved to work on the weekends, lets face it we all had it pretty easy as kids with Mom only really giving us chores on Saturday and helping to clean up Sunday dinners on occasion, but now the memories stand out as good ones for me. I can also go on and on about my Mom, but I will save her for another day.

I am glad my Dad's strong work ethic was so visible to me growing up. I believe it became a part of my character and that of my siblings, through his example. Thanks Dad.

I Am Grateful,
HB

P.S. In case you are curious...I discovered a clog of gum wrappers in the tube that runs from the rollers to the canister...The vacuum is not perfect, but at least it is picking up string again.

4 comments:

  1. Man, I was a little nervous to begin reading this post. I thought it had something to do with politics or something....one thing not always agreed upon. Whew. I have dads glands as well. Ryker and I are the sweaters of the family. I believe I also got dads work ethic and need to be busy as well....Kev complains about it all the time. I realize I also have dads disease of turning the sound on t.v. up and down continuously.....I HATE IT WHEN HE DOES THAT....IT IS SO ANNOYING. Yet, when I do it it just makes sense. Kevin goes balistic....I don't keep the remote for long. Then the sound on crash scenes, and any exciting part is deafening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA M - I hoped that title would get your attention!! Just so long as you don't record "Oprah" over all your kids favorite movies. It occurs to me I have no idea what kind of TV you watch - I almost put "Days of Our Lives", but somehow I doubt that holds sway with you. HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally remember loving hanging out w/dad, watching him work. He would let us sweep, and always got to wear a face mask, which I'm pretty sure is why I thought is was really something special to do. Thinking about it now I prob made way more of a mess, but dad always took the time to teach us, and allow us to "help" .... He has an awesome work ethic! (golden and I both think it could also be a lil bit of a.d.d) I could use a little more motivation myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I don't remember loving working with dad. Except for that time we were cleaning out the basement and we were taking bags and bags of moms old Harlequins to the garbage. They just kept coming....it was amazing. That was a fun time.

    ReplyDelete