Monday, September 13, 2010

Day #4 - Leaf it Be

Today I realized why it is hard to be grateful all the time. It is the same with being kind, or loving or even reasonable all the time...it is all about being MINDFUL. Since I enjoy words so much I will share the actual definition of mindful: taking heed or care; being conscious. Some synonyms are: aware, alert, attentive, alive, heedful, careful, conscientious, watchful, vigilant. Such a simple word with so much higher meaning.

Today at almost precisely 5 o'clock I realized I hadn't yet taken note of any significant item to be grateful for. I sat and pondered a bit and still couldn't come up with anything that was meaningful to me. On the drive home I decided to be mindful of my surroundings and realized how much I value my drive to and from work. It is time by myself, space I use to think in or listen to a book on CD or music. I very rarely take or make calls - when I do it usually ends up with me cussing at other drivers while the poor recipient on the other end has to put up with my inattentiveness, but sometimes I do use the time to call a family member or friend if I have been thinking about that person and then letting life get in the way of my planned call.

Driving home today I noticed the leaves have already started to turn. I think it is a bit early this year, but soon the drive up Parleys Canyon will be filled with yellow, green, pink, orange and red. It is a beautiful time of year up here. I tried to snap a photo on the drive home, but going 70 MPH didn't quite capture the moment; regardless, it is wonderful to be able to see the amazing Utah Mountains close up everyday on the drive home.

I Am Grateful,
HB

P.S. Then I got on my blog and I have a follower AND comments...SWEET!! Thanks M.


  

3 comments:

  1. Man, I love that definition. What a jam-packed word. I am going to be that today. Thanks for the reminder. Where is that big tree pic taken? Is it from off one of your decks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. it looks like you have two followers....I don't know why I am up there twice...maybe you can delete one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on girl.....I am waiting patiently for your next installment. I gotta go to bed now though. Cannot stay awake another minute.. I will check in tomorrow. When should I call you? I would like to visit.

    ReplyDelete