Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day #20 - BFF

I was prepared to write about something else today, but then I got a voice mail from my Best Friend Debi. I can't help but feel a ton of gratitude for her friendship.

There are people that have touched my life so profoundly and she is one of them. We met many years ago and we might as well have been on opposite planets our lives were so different then they are today. We reconnected again through work. I don't remember how we even decided to start hanging out, it just happened, somehow I just got lucky.

Debi gets me. The message she left me today was an "I'm thinking about you" message. I can call her back tomorrow or I can call her back next month and all that matters to her is that I know she meant it. There are very few expectations in our relationship as friends and that makes it very powerful. She moved to Colorado over a year ago and I miss the daily interaction terribly, but I know if I call her and tell her I need her she will be there and I hope she knows the same thing about me.

There is also NO judgement from Debi. I could tell her ANYTHING and, although she might not let me get away with it, she would pass zero judgement on me. We do have different opinions on many things, but that also works for us because we are so open minded with each other.

She also lets me call her Debra...her name is D-E-B-I...that's it, and I LOVE that I am the only one that gets away with Debra...even her husband tells me he can't call her that for any reason. I tend to use nicknames with those I care about and this is my endearment for her. Mostly I call her that if she is in trouble, but sometimes I use it just because I know I can get away with it.

I have been blessed with good friends at different times in my life that have meant so much to me. It seems I have found those friends just when I needed them the most and when I would learn the most important lessons from them.

Debi is everything a friend should be - beautiful, insightful, kind, funny, long suffering, accepting, an excellent listener, hilarious, fun to be around, emotional, open minded, my personal psychologist...the list goes on and on. Most of all, Debi loves me for who and what I am, no matter what.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Me and Debi at the Friendship Sculpture in San Diego -
A trip we went on together earlier this year.  


2 comments:

  1. Debi sounds awesome. It is such a blessing to have a friend like that....and even more so to be that friend to someone....don't you think? It is an honor to be that to someone else. To be the person they want to call when they need to talk, or have something to share. These relationships are few and far between.....but that is the whole thing, you don't need many. You need one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is for sure an amazing and awesome thing to have a friend like that! Also like Min said, to be that friend in return. I think that's when a friendship like that will grow, well obviously because it takes two indeed! My friend Brenda has been that way for me... It's true, they are rare.

    ReplyDelete