Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day #10 - I am grateful, I AM Grateful, I am GRATEFUL...?

See...this is why I have decided to do this exercise in gratitude. Right now I am so...bothered. It is ONLY day 10 and I am NOT in a space of thanksgiving right now...

The last few nights we have allowed my nephew's friends to sleep in our basement as guests. My nephew is renting our studio apartment that is separate from our house and these friends were visiting from Colorado. At first we were reluctant because we don't know them, etc. but I finally decided it would help them out and make it more comfortable for them to visit him. Travis was NEVER on board, but he allowed it because I asked him to.

I was just heading up to do my post for the night and noticed a light on downstairs - I went down to turn it off and decided to check out the room and bathroom they had used and for the most part it looked fine although the tub was pretty gungy...oh well, it happens. Then I decided to use the bathroom while I was down there...WELL...It was NOT PRETTY.

I stomped out to my nephews apartment and his roommate came to take a look and plunge the toilet, etc. After the first seemingly successful plunge the water filled again and came up through the tub and eventually overflowed from the toilet onto the carpet...WHAT THE...? Tomorrow I get to call the plumber and have it looked at. AND clean up after these inconsiderate little...well, you know.

NOW, I ask you...have you ever plugged up a toilet in someones house and NOT TOLD THEM? OR have you ever plugged up a toilet in a house you were staying in because of a FRIEND and not at least TOLD YOUR FRIEND about it? Frankly, I can't believe they left their friends in the position to deal with the homeowner and the situation without at least a heads up.

Now I need to decide if I should post this or start over. Is there something in there to be grateful for?
?
?
?

Actually, I have discovered a few things:
1) I found it early. If that light hadn't been on it might have been a week before I went down there to change sheets, clean the bathroom and vacuum.
2) The roommate was super apologetic about the whole thing. He jumped in immediately to handle the situation and stated he will "obviously" pay for the plumber to come out and will certainly clean the bathroom when it is fixed again.
3) It would have been BETTER if it hadn't happened at all, but the house is still standing and it is something that should be fixable...not all is lost - Don't cry over spilled milk and all that...

There will be consequences to this adventure. There will be NO WAY Travis will let anymore of their friends stay here. At least I don't think so; I certainly feel some reluctance after this experience as well. Maybe I will get to work through that after the pain of incredulity wears off.

Maybe I really am just grateful I have a space where I can vent and come away feeling less bothered and ready to move forward in a more peaceful attitude.

I Am Grateful,
HB

5 comments:

  1. Man, that is a huge bummer. It really stinks. I'm pooped just thinking about it. Why can't people get their crap together? I would like a follow up to see if he really pays for the plumber. I have my doubts about this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chuckle this morning...Don't worry I will kick some stinky A## if I have too. HB

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHHH LAME TIME! I know that I clog up my own toilet and am totally grossed out, AND embarrassed when I have to plunge it! Dealing with someone else's doodie matters is sooooooo not cool... I would most def say that no more house guests (unless it's me/golden/& seerie of course)haha... well we will have to wait til the plumber comes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After I wrote yesterday's post I got onto my facebook page and saw all kinds of messages about the fire out in Herriman (South/West Salt Lake).

    The fire started from guns being shot on a training range when the wind picked up. There were several people who posted online voicing worries about family and friends who live in the area and were one of the hundreds evacuated for the night. I know there were some homes lost in the fire and it is still going as far as I know.

    In the face of what others were facing last night, an over flowing toilet and some inmature young adults seems a pretty petty complaint in comparison.

    HB

    ReplyDelete