Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day #342 - All That Jazz!!

Travis invited me to attend a Jazz game with him and some clients via his company sweet seats. We were on the 3rd row. I was leery about going, since I don't necessarily dig Jazz games and I am known for falling asleep at professional football games (the 2 we have been to), so I encouraged him to invite a friend. In the end I decided to try it out.

This was definitely an experience worth having, but I probably won't be anxious to go again anytime soon. The best part of this game was the opposing team were the Kings...Jimmer Fredette is on that team (BYU super star and BIG points contributor in college)...It is Jimmer's rookie year and Trav is anxious to see how he does and to see how his career progresses.

It was obvious right away there were a TON of Jimmer fans in the crowd. There were lots of signs being held up and when he was announced at the beginning of the game the crowd went wild. Every time Jimmer got the ball there were simultaneous Boo's and Cheers. When he made a basket there was lots of noise. When it was the end of the game a chant of "Jimmer" went up in the audience and a HUGE cheer when he went back into the game...we couldn't help ourselves. The sports media thought it was a fowl way to treat the Jazz at home - they are probably right, but it made the game interesting. Beyond that the Jazz seem to be playing pretty good and it will be good to see how they progress thru this season. In the end the Jazz prevailed and won the game and Jimmer played "good enough" to satisfy his fans.

It was pretty cool to sit so close to the players and see the expressions on their faces. It was pretty interesting to see them roll their eyes or make an impatient face to a teammate, etc. It made it more real. I was interested to note the floor didn't seam as big as it does on TV. I felt like the Hoosiers when they went to the big stadium and the coach made them measure the distance from the basket to the floor to help the young team understand it only seems bigger...it really isn't. Trav told me if I saw regular size guys out there on the floor it would look a lot bigger then it did...I believe him; those guys are huge.

I should back up and explain another advantage of front section season tickets...FIRST, there is a dinner prior to the game on the 6th floor. It is a buffet w/shrimp, crab claws, salads, bread, prime rib, potatoes, chicken and several deserts to choose from. THEN, at half time you can take a break and go to a large room where there are free nachos, drinks and popcorn. I certainly wasn't starving that night. It is sort of cool to see a company wine and dine their clients - it is like the good 'ol days when you had a client budget, before the economy took a dump and everyone had to tighten their belts. The good 'ol days when we got gift cards from our company for Christmas and big parties that didn't require pot lucks. Boo Hoo.

The only real bad part is how we were packed in like sardines in the chairs. I thought it would be more comfortable than the green chairs, but it was worse without the arms in between. We sat knee to knee, shoulder to shoulder with each other and, unless you are a size 8 or less w/narrow shoulders, you are going to be squished. Let's just say I got friendly with the regular sitting next to me. He figured out pretty quickly that I was more entertained by the Bear than I was by the Jazz. That darn Bear...such a character.

I am happy that Travis invited me to go with him and held my ticket for me until I figured out I really did want to go. Thanks Trav.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: “If we're growing, we're always going to be out of our comfort zone.” John Maxwell

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so amazing!!! Front and center. Talk about exciting people watching. We are always up in the rafters.....not quite as enticing as what you got to enjoy. A LOT harder to pay attention and keep focused... and awake! LUCKIES!!

    ReplyDelete