Monday, February 13, 2012

Day #347 - Happy Birthday Dad!!

When I started making a list of "10 Things I Love" for my siblings, it was after my Dad's Birthday last year, so it is his turn and, of course, I got my siblings to help write a tribute to our Father. What an amazing, quirky, inspirational man we have been blessed with...




OLDEST CHILD JASON and Family:

What do we like most about Cort, Grandpa Dana, the kids said well he can tell long stories and Josie remembers the time he made a swing when we were camping and we all talked her into taking a ride first well.....the swing did not hold for long it fell and the dead branch that it was built on fell and gave her a black eye!  Seth remembers all the tennis tips he gives him and Abbie likes that too.  Its awesome that Cort is so willing to share all his talents like building stuff and helping whenever he can.  He has a lot of things but he also knows a lot too. Thanks Cort, Happy Birthday you're awesome! (Mel)

Dad has always been willing to help everyone out with whatever project they may be working on. Just last month he textured the ceiling in our basement while Mel and I were on our cruise vacation. He knew I wasn't looking forward to it (because I suck at it) so he took care of it.  I remember when they lived in a.f. mom saying that dad spent all his time helping people in the ward to the point of putting off things at their own house. Dads most dominant character trait would be that he is a hard worker! Just last year when he helped me frame the basement, I was ready to quit for the day and dad was still nailing and carrying on. 

I will always remember the good times we had riding motorcycles both when I was growing up and also just over the last few years. Other than a few tip overs we had some awesome trips and day rides. And we still ride the 4wheelers  and I can still make dad angry when I take him on too rough of a trial! Like just the other day. Lol.

I can always count on dad having the latest conspiracy theory or glen becks latest doomsday prediction on tap for some political commentary leading to some laughs or arguments.....which is better than being apathetic like most people in America.

Dad has always been a great example of Christ like service to others in the church. It seems like half the time we are at the house dad has to go to a meeting or visit another family.

Thanks for everything Dad! All your sacrifices for us are appreciated. Love Jason.


MELISSA:



Dear Dad -

So happy to be wishing you Happy Birthday for your 68th year! That is so amazing....when I say 68, I automatically think 70....that seems so old, but 68 is really not so bad. It seems like you are at a really great place in life (minus the hip pain!!).

I really love you a lot dad. I feel that so much more now than I ever did while growing up, especially in my late teens and throughout early adulthood. I know many times I did not show the respect you deserve as my father, I did not feel the respect that I feel now. Being a parent myself, seeing, and listening with new eyes has opened my heart many times over throughout the past fourteen years (Ethan is 14 now).

Growing up it was easy to be resentful, it was no trouble to judge quickly, I didn't care for your instructions, regardless of the topic. It was my right as a teen to be moody and still expect everything I deserved.....which was all I had coming to me......I'm just fooling around.....but I was a BRAT! I am sorry for that, as now I can see the love and wisdom in so much of what I chose to ignore at that time.

I watch our own children, specifically the afore mentioned one, and I see his similar reactions to myself and Kevin, and it is frustrating and disheartening. We have not quite made it to heartbreaking yet......maybe our days are numbered. Being a parent is hard. It is easy to mess up. It is impossible to be perfect. I think you did a great job. I have told you before, but I will say it again. I appreciate you so much as a grandfather to our kids. I think you do a fantastic job. When my kids complain about lectures of the constitution, or long drawn out scriptural accounts. I get to laugh and say, enjoy them, be grateful for them, it is only because he loves you so much!! You are lucky to have them....and him in your life!

Love, Melissa


HEATHER:


My Father is so reliable. One can always count on Dad being, not only ABLE to do just about anything that might need doing, but also his willingness to make himself available for any occasion necessary. I have a hole in my wall…I should call Dad. I want to plant a garden, better ring up my Father for assistance. Hmmmm…what kind of tool would accomplish a particular task? Dad will know. What a blessing this is and has been to ALL of us. I have written before that many of my memories as a child are working along beside him in the garden, putting up sheet rock (handing him screws or using that funny chalk string to make a blue line on the wall), sweeping behind him (learning to maneuver a broom to create as little dust as possible – no one was ever as good at this as Dad), cleaning the cars in the drive-way (using Ajax to make the tires glow), watching him cut hair out of the vacuum (gross), watching him build house after house for our numerous animals…my Dad was always busy making our home a better place to live. I love him for his knowledge and for sharing it with us. I love him for his eager willingness to WANT to help all of his children in any way he can.
I love my Dad’s short cuts…whenever Travis starts to take a different route to anywhere that seems unusual I ask if he is taking one of “Dad’s short cuts?” It is NEVER shorter and it often turns into an adventure in getting lost, being late to an appointment or getting turned around. Whenever we figured out Dad was on route via a “short cut” we would all just grown, but it is funny now.
I often get impatient with Dad’s political opinions, but he is so patriotic. I want Dad to know that I love how much he values his Country and that I hear his voice. I don’t have all the answers, not even some of the answers really; and I probably won’t ever see eye to eye with him on many things, but don’t mistake this for not valuing what he has to say and for not admiring his passion on the subject.
My Father has been a true steward of this family. I look up to him in so many ways; I’m not surprised that I could keep writing about him for many more paragraphs (if I wanted to compete with my sister Keri) but I will end by saying, “Thank you Dad – I love you”. Huggie



AMY & The Drakes - LANCE/ARCHER/AVERY/ELLE:
Of course his awesome work ethic. He's an amazingly generous man with his time and talents, to which I have benefited so many times - taking down dead tree limbs, building houses for our animals, yard clean up...on and on.
I also love that Dad is sensitive to his feelings - he is a tender, loving parent with genuine love and concern for each member of this unique and diverse family. He gets choked up when speaking of loved ones that have passed on or bearing his testimony and it is easy to feel the sincerity of what he is sharing.
What a great man to have for a Grandpa - he shows his love through time & patience playing with the kids and making them all feel special. Elle especially loves Grandpa's pet monkey and Grandpa is always finding inventive ways to make fun for all the kids; everyone loves playing with Grandpa.
 



KERI & The Welch's - GOLDEN/SEERIE
One of my very favorite things about dad is that he's never afraid to ask questions!  He will ask anyone anything, and I love watching this. (As I have grown up with maybe a little of moms theories and
intimidation of actually having to talk to people)  Dad will always continue to learn because he is always asking the questions.  I will never forget when mom and dad came down to Vegas to help me move, and there were many, many Hispanic workers across the way working on the next set of condos.  Mom and I were still asleep, and Dad wanted to get my couches and some other big things out into the truck.  So he walked over, used his bit of Spanish, "Hola amingo" and some other things I can't remember, but he asked them to come help him. When we got up Dad had most the stuff out on the trailer already! We spent most of the morning laughing about it.

I love that Dad is always willing to help! With anything he can.  He loves to serve his family, and is never to busy to show up for any of his kids. He is a man of many talents, and I've always taken that for
granted. Until I met guys who knew nothing about changing a tire, jumping a battery, building a shelf.... etc.  I knew the man I wanted to marry would know how to do all the things that my dad does!

Dad is such a hard worker. I realize that working as young as he was on the farms really gave him an awesome work ethic!   Although I know that if Dad comes over to my house, and there are no projects to do, or no tennis on, he is ready to go in about a half hour!

Dad has such a big heart. I see that as he has gotten older he is extremely tender. Always to see him tear up a little makes me also tear up a little.  He is such an example of unconditional love. Knowing that I have done things over the years that he is disappointed in, I will always know of his love for me. NO MATTER WHAT!

I love to watch Dad with Ser's.  She adores him! This morning when I asked her what she dreamed about she said, "papa, temple, birthday" with the biggest smile in the world.  He always takes time to read to her, or do a puzzle.  AND even go to blow bubbles. (Which is obvious that because she has become extremely obsessed with them and never want to quit, it's kind of hard to get the bubbles out)  Her favorite thing is probably going out with him to help in his garage. Whatever he's doing, she likes to be there. Helping, kind of.  Plus he always has smarties for her, and that also helps :)

I love that Dad will always tell his opinion on politics, and the church. Even though we don't always agree, I would never want dad to hold back how he feels.  I have realized after having Seerie that you
never stop worrying about your kids. You always want the best for them! As a parent I see that now when Mom and Dad bring up the harder subjects.  They do it because they love us! Don't ever change!

I love you Dad! Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


One of my favorite things about Cort is his example.  He is sensitive, caring, active, and always willing to serve.  He is humble enough to learn and wise enough to share his experiences.  He makes the effort
to play an active roll in his family's life and that is inspiring.

-golden-

YOUNGEST CHILD & BROTHER CHUCK:

Things I love about Dad....
Dad has always been a great example of being true to his word.
Even though I didn't see him a lot during my youngest years I always knew this about him. He was a hard worker for the railroad for many many years, he always does a fabulous job in his church callings and he worked so hard to become a grrrrreat tennis player! No matter what it is that he has going on in his life, if he gives his word that he will excel at that thing, he does it dang it!:) I have always loved this about dad and respected him for it.


I also love that he takes FOREVER to get in the car and leave....  ALWAYS something else that he needs to get or that he forgot... Being the youngest child I think I got to experience this more than anyone else, well...besides mom of course:) Mom and I would be sitting in the car ready to go, and dad would come out, sit down, then be like, "oh, wait, I need to go back in and grab something".... he'd get out and go back in... then mom would start to chirp and we would both get frustrated at first, but then after he did this 2 or 3 times that trip we would start to giggle over dad's antics and silly quirks. Always fun.


Love you Dad - Chuck

Cort's Spouse - Trish (aka "Mom"):


Our Cortney is such an amazing man!  He is capable of doing so many things, such as tonight after the family left he was trying to fix the garbage disposal and discovered a dish cloth was caught down inside tighter than tight!  Of course with much effort he got it out and everything was well again. 


    I love that he makes friends so easily because he is interested in others and is concerned about their lives and people feel that from him.  He loves the Lord with all his heart and desires to please Him and obey what is asked by Him. 


    More than anything else Cort loves his family and if possible will help them with anything they might need.  His greatest desire is to have them near him always.He is so good to me!  I know of his love and feel secure in our companionship and our desire to be  together throughout out the day.  He is my best friend, my sweetheart, my guide, my encouragement when I think the glass is empty and he sees that it is half full. I love him with all my heart!  Happy 68th birthday!  


We Love You Dad!!! We hope you had a wonderful Birthday today.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "I guess the real reason that my wife and I had children is the same reason that Napoleon had for invading Russia: it seemed like a good idea at the time.” - Bill Cosby

3 comments:

  1. Loved it so much! Thanks for all the comments and memories guys. I will come back later with K and the kids input.....not fair that mine just came from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. McCauley says she love, love, loves to go swimming with grandpa because he chases them. She can't believe how fun it is to feed the ducks with he and Abbie! She likes it when grandpa does stuff with them. Whoohoo! Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like MacT's comments. Dad really is a great Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete