Tuesday, July 31, 2012

#46 - Moosed Out?

I am sorry to do yet another post about the Moose in my yard...c'mon, I got some decent pictures at least. I was on the deck one morning this weekend when I heard the unmistakable sound (I love hearing the "unmistakable" sounds because all other sounds start to sound like moose...until you hear the unmistakable one) of branches breaking and looked up to see a Mama Moose w/ her tiny baby crashing through the trees. I was just about to go out front to begin working in the yard for the morning and made a mental note to pay attention...good thing.

I was out by the mail box cutting off dead poppy stems when I heard a noise...I look up, and sure enough, here they come walking down the street. Needless to say I suddenly became quite spry and jumped over some rocks doing a quick step to my open garage door taking cover by my car. They ended up across the street in my neighbors yard eating the lilac bush. In case you are wondering, the baby is IN the bush.


I went inside to grab my camera and when I came out, I heard the sound of a dog collar...hmmm, is that unsuspecting walker coming from up the street or down the street. I was loathe to leave the shelter and quick retreat by the garage door and the next thing I know a lady and her dog are by the mail box having totally missed the moosen across the street due to my lovely flowers distracting her. I was gesturing discretely, so as not to spook the moose, and whisper talking "hey" when she finally looked up and said, "your flowers are so lovely" - I kept pointing past her and she turned and said with very little concern, "Oh, I didn't even see her there...ha, ha, ha". I thanked her for the nice compliment and she just went on her merry way.

Then the baby popped out of the bushes and they started across the street...


Where they began enjoying the bushes in my yard...I ventured out as far as I dared to get this darling photo..


Then a brown lab was coming over and barking, REALLY agitating the Mama, so she chased him off accompanied by much clattering and grunting...


Then the baby poked it's head out to see where Mom went...I gently encouraged him to get back in the bushes and wait for the all clear sign from Mom...he did, he slunk right back in there until Mama came to collect him.


Don't ask why I have garbage sack wrapped tires in the trailer...you will need to ask Trav why those are still in our driveway. Doesn't that baby look like a stuffed horse?

Trav and I have seen a lot of moose up her by the house, but it just never gets old.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "It is quite possible to leave your home for a walk in the early morning air and return a different person - beguiled, enchanted." Mary Ellen Chase

2 comments:

  1. How could it get old??? I wouldn't expect it to. Excellent perk to mountain living. Your flowers must be looking good to be so distracting. Our little blue house yard used to look so pretty and inviting.....this house in FL....is just pretty regular. Nice, but you know....not a show stopper. I have no drive to make it such.

    But actually, Our yard is coming together this year, we (mostly K) is finally getting on top of the weeds and dead areas. The kids have voted that our lawn looks the best on the street. So at least that is something.

    Love the Moose posts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring on the moose posts! The picture with the two of them walking across the street is so amazing- can you handle that?
    Love it!
    I have a little humming bird nest in our front yard tree that really brings us so much joy to watch for her and little ones from time to time.
    aren't we blessed by the beauty that surrounds us? (and the beauty we can also choose to create- you green thumb!)
    M- are you in love with ocean living by now. Could you picture yourself living without the water nearby? probably you could, but I bet your kids will always want to be near the salt and sand having grown up with it?? some of my california born clients talk about the need to hear the ocean, for me it would be more like the "unmistakable" sound. At least in NYC, I longed for Mountains and sunsets.
    love you guys.
    A

    ReplyDelete