Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day #35 - Self Analysis

Well...I did it. I finally sat down with myself for 1 hour and did my deep self analysis on what I want out of life. It is apparently as the forefathers thought..."life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"...well, pretty close anyway.

I asked myself, "at the end of my life, what do I want to have accomplished". I asked this in the broad sense of the meaning, not the specific sense in actual accomplishments. I decided I want to be happy, I want to enjoy living my life and I want to make a difference; I want my life to have mattered. Easy enough and pretty common I would think. The bigger question is, what do each of these really mean to me?

Things that make me happy:
* A happy husband actually makes me more happy
* Feeling good about myself
* My Family - their successes make me happy
* Doing a good job w/results both at home and at work
* Learning new things
* Being productive
* Financial Security

What do I currently enjoy? What am I passionate about?
* Reading
* Writing
* Gardening
* Sharing what I learn w/others
* Learning new things
* Accomplishing my goals

I also wrote down things I would LIKE to do to increase enjoyment in my life (i.e. traveling).

I then made a list of people whose lives I directly affect - the list is actually pretty long if you really look at all the people you come into contact with daily. I wrote down broad and specific things I can begin doing to make a difference in the lives of those around me. I have long since known I am happiest when those around me are happy...I believe this is a trait I inherited from my Mother.

Finally, I wrote down a daily schedule to work out the details on how to increase my chances of success in these three areas of my life. One thing I know about myself is, I tend to live my whole life on the weekends, ALL chores inside and outside are done on Saturday/Sunday and anything Trav and I do for fun usually fall on those days as well. This makes weekends exhausting and short. I have decided to try a new strategy of being more productive during the week so I can do more enjoyable things on the weekend.

This is just a sampling of how I am starting to shift my focus from "roll with it" to "create it"...should be fun and interesting. I will let you know how it goes.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote: "You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel." Johnny Depp

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is awesome. Instead of roll with it, create it. Hmmmm.....I like it. I will have to look at this post a few times and ask myself these questions. I will be excited to hear how it is going. Love the more productive week idea, to be able to enjoy your weekend more. Just makes sense.
    You GO Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! sounds like dad to me. self reflective and wanting to help others- seeing the joy in them brings joy to himself!
    I need (deserve!) to take that hour myself and ask these questions too!
    thanks for sharing!
    xo Aim

    ReplyDelete