Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day #44 - I like to learn, but...

Do you not LOVE it when you have a know-it-all in class that has to comment on EVERYTHING the Instructor is trying to teach? I know, I know...I often admit to my own know-it-all classification, BUT I like to think I can temper it when necessary.

To keep my Real Estate license active I am required to take 18 hours of continuing education every 2 years. So far I have taken about 4 hours and my license renews in September...I've got a ways to go. Today I had the opportunity to take 6 hours of CE credits for free...I did NOT have time to take it, but I MADE time since time is quickly running out.

The first class was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo BORING! At first, there was a great tidbit that was useful and interesting and then there was a lot of good information that was repeated over and over and over in different ways. THEN it finally picked up in the last 30 minutes with tons of information being thrown out - the info we had been waiting 2.5 hours to get to, and this KNOW-IT-ALL just keeps interrupting the instructor to tell him how SHE does the same thing, giving the distinct impression her way is the "right" way.

At one point I said under my breath, "It is only a suggestion" and was considering turning around and "steam rolling" the lady when the instructor pointed at her with his red dry erase marker and said VERY sternly, "I do NOT have time to debate with you!" She said, "But, I...", Instructor, double jab point, "I do NOT have TIME to debate with you", she said, "But when I..." Instructor, both hands (marker in each hand) held out to his sides, "AGAIN? I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO DEBATE WITH YOU!!". It was SO funny. The very best part is...this lady wasn't even fazed. I snuck a peak at her to witness her red face and puckered mouth tight with anger and frustration...nope...nothin'. She looked normal and even talked to her buddy for a second after the incident. Weird.

The only other thing that I enjoyed about the day was seeing "my" agents at the class. It was fun to feel some camaraderie as agents from my office walked in. One of them sat with me in the first class, he's one of our 'big deal' agents and I got to get to know him better and watch him doodle pictures all over the handouts knowing he was thinking the same things I was and trying desperately not to nod off.

I will admit the information was good, just needed to get on with it in the first 3 hours. The 2nd class was MUCH better. We stayed on task, the information was new to me and know-it-all didn't make it to this class. It was a crazy day since I had to do my normal stuff in 1 hour instead of 8 (you know what I mean), but I am SUPER glad to get 6 hours out of the way.

I Am Grateful,
HB

Diva Quote - For my know-it-all friend, take it from me:
"I’ve seen how you can’t learn anything when you’re trying to look like the smartest person in the room.” Barbara Kingsolver

6 comments:

  1. This is so funny, I like the thought of you sitting in class and what must go through your head - (you could probably teach the dang thing).
    And then the giant reward of standing by while someone feels so inclined to push all the teachers buttons, before it gets wrapped up!
    (maybe I'll experiment at my next (mandatory) arrcona training - held every six months for a full day of repeat info, non-paid. I'd probably look forward to it alittle more- if I knew some know it all aesthetician would be a giant pain! ... Snicker...snicker)
    Love you, A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.....un com fort able. Yikes.....but keeps you awake and tuned in for sure.

    I also have to do this every 2 years.....15 CEUs. In May I spent the weekend working at the Mania Conference to get all of my credits in one big event. It was really fun. I cost me $59, instead of $289, I was on the work crew green team. We would set up and take down rooms, move equipment, door greet, or captain the room and man the mic. Once our jobs were done we were free to participate and take in everything that was offered. It was awesome. I learned a ton. Was exceptionally sore and tired. I would do it again in a heart beat......only maybe next time I would try and get a friend to go with me. That would almost make it too good to be true. I drove back and forth from Orlando for the three days. I was listening to a great book cd though, so the driving was nothing but a bonus. NOW, I need to figure out how to turn my credits in, and get recertified with my CPR before the end of September. Sounds like we are all in a similar boat.....the boat of continued learning, or continued reminding for you A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - I tripple dog dare YOU to be the know-it-all at your next mandatory meeting...c'mon, spice things up a bit; let some of your stubborn side shine thru.

    M - How long does it take to get to Orlando from Sat Beach? I want to say 40 min. Has it already been 2 years since you got your license? Man, time sure moves fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, well October is my 2 year mark. It takes 1 hour to get to Orlando.....you were close.

    I really need to set it up so I can see when you guys make comments so I don't have to come back and search.....do you have them emailed to you HB? I do for my blog and I love that, I want to figure out how to do the same with yours. Don't want to miss any interactions. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, looks like I just did it. Just subscribed by email. EASY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh this may be bad to say, but there is a lady in our relief society who makes about 500 comments every Sunday and she takes so long to make them. I so wish that sometimes I could tell her we don't have time for all your comments. The poor teachers who spend so much time preparing don't ever get through their lessons. Okay off my soapbox. :) I guess we all have our downfall. I ask too many questions. She gives too many answers.

    ReplyDelete